Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dewalt 735. Upgrade or Replace?

Dewalt 735. Upgrade or Replace?

Hi all,
    I posted last week on an issue with my DeWalt 735 planner. I’m getting ridges on the wood and while they sand off easy, it’s a concern. I’ve had this machine 2 years with no issues and after replacing the knives the issue comes back. No, I don’t store the wood vertically and the ends are cut off. Also, my garage floor has an epoxy finish. I don’t know what can be nicking the blades after just a few passes.

So, my question is, should I look to upgrade the cutter head to a helix or look to buy a new planer with the helix head. I searched out some models from Grizzly, Jet and Shop Fox. None of them received stellar reviews. Am I just wasting my money looking to upgrade the cutter? The cost of the 735 + the new cutter head puts the unit over 1K. I can buy any of the above for a lot less. I can't put in a floor model, no space.

I’m spoiled as before I retired and downsized my basement shop sported a 20” Powermatic 209HH. It would never fit into my garage.

Thanks,

Mike

Those knives are thin , the steep bevel of the 1/8th knives makes the difference. Even the 1/8th inch thick knives will have striations
    unless they are of the best steels like M2 , or T1. The remedy for removing striations is sandpaper or a “card scraper “.
    Molten gold has no scratches, but as soon as it cools down …it gets scratches.

If your considering replacing it, you might look at the Oliver planer with a Byrd head factory built.

I recommend infinity carbide tipped knives. Infinity also sells a high speed knife that I haven’t tried but heard reports they are better then oem tin foil blades.
    I had a 735 with the carbide knives and it left a far better surface then my planer with a bryd head.
    Good Luck
    Aj

While you note that a new 735 + helical head is more than other new options, you already have a 735. So for a fair comparison, you would have to see how much you could sell the 735 for towards buying a new planer.
    I upgraded my 735 to a helical cutterhead and I am happy with it. It sounds like you are sort of trying to compare how good the 735 is versus the alternatives, and I can't speak to that (not having any of them). But it sounds like the other ones are cheaper, but maybe not as good a helical 735, so then it becomes evaluating that cost difference, which is probably a fairly personal thing.

Whichever way you go a helical head will also be saving your hearing. I moved to a combo machine but I can tell you that I bought my machine used and sold it for basically the same price, really only cost me a set of blades. So you can get money out of the 735 if you plan to sell it. So $3-400 on top of the 600 a shelix head costs puts you in at 1000. 15" Laguna/powermatic/jet with a Helical cutter all sit around 4500. At those prices you can also include Hammer combo machine. grizzly has a 13" lunchbox with helical for $700 and a few offerings in the 2k range. You may have better offerings in the 1k-2k region used.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...tterhead/g0940

I actually use the Infinity knives for my 735:

https://www.infinitytools.com/hss-kn...alt-735-planer

They are definitely NOT thin metal blades. They seem to work well. However, I hate using my 735 because of the noise. Other bench-top planers are said to be quieter, but you really need a good dust collection system for those.

I also have the 4" dust port upgrade in my planer:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1386229...r-dust-upgrade

Out of curiosity I looked up the Shop Fox, too bad they don't show a picture of the head but it appears to be the Shinmax or similar. I did notice the inserts are HSS and not carbide which isn't an issue just need to replace more often. The one thing I would make sure is that the inserts are not proprietary because Grizzly can be very proud of their inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gumpper View Post
    Out of curiosity I looked up the Shop Fox, too bad they don't show a picture of the head but it appears to be the Shinmax or similar. I did notice the inserts are HSS and not carbide which isn't an issue just need to replace more often. The one thing I would make sure is that the inserts are not proprietary because Grizzly can be very proud of their inserts.

To answer some of the questions asked. I have min gorilla for dust collection. I looked at the Shop Fox, Grizzly and Jet. Too many comments on sniping and insert issues. I checked out the Oliver unit and it received very high marks and I read an article on Fine Woodworking from a year ago and it too gave it high marks. It comes with a real shelix head and a wixy gage as well. The cost is $999. I checked out the price of replacing the shelix on the DeWalt and Amazon has it for $429 & $499 from different sellers. Buying it directly from Byrd is $525.

I will think about it over the holiday's. I can probably sell the DeWalt with the wixey gage on it for $500. It I bought the Oliver it would be a wash and I also would not have to go through replacing the head on the DeWalt.

There are other (cheaper) options for a spiral head in the 735. Earlier this year I put a spiral head in an older Grizzly jointer from FindBuyTool. Have been quite happy with it. They have a head for the 735, and I'm probably going to pull the trigger when it's on sale for the holiday.

Admittedly, I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. Not a great website name. But seems like it may be somewhat similar to SpeTool.

https://www.findbuytool.com/products...5&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    There are other (cheaper) options for a spiral head in the 735. Earlier this year I put a spiral head in an older Grizzly jointer from FindBuyTool. Have been quite happy with it. They have a head for the 735, and I'm probably going to pull the trigger when it's on sale for the holiday.

Admittedly, I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. Not a great website name. But seems like it may be somewhat similar to SpeTool.

https://www.findbuytool.com/products...5&_ss=e&_v=1.0
    Patrick,

Thanks for the link. It's an excellent price but it does not show who manufatcures it. I found the Byrd head at Holbren for $399 and free shipping. I've bought lots of stuff with them over the years. I'm affraid if I have an issue with it who do you call?

I think I will pull the trigger and get the byrd head ordered today.

Thanks,

Mike

The 735 works well with the Byrd head. Just take shallow (1/4-1/2 turn depending on stock width) passes. You’ll like it.

Mike, it looks that helical cutter head that Patric linked too is a two row design, not 4 like the Byrd. It looks like it's probably from China, that fact and fewer cutters might explain the hefty price difference. I wonder based on the reviews if it takes less HP and might be quieter than the Byrd? I have the Byrd in my 735 and it does a great job.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    Mike, it looks that helical cutter head that Patric linked too is a two row design, not 4 like the Byrd. It looks like it's probably from China, that fact and fewer cutters might explain the hefty price difference. I wonder based on the reviews if it takes less HP and might be quieter than the Byrd? I have the Byrd in my 735 and it does a great job.
    That company sells a 2-row and a 4-row. The 4-row (which I linked), actually has more cutters than the Byrd (56 vs. 40).

Now the point of "who makes this" is absolutely accurate. It's coming out of some Chinesium factory, fronted by a Hong Kong-based distributor. I'm on the record as being ok with taking a gamble on some of these things, understanding that I might be SOL if something goes wrong. But if you aren't one for gambling, the Byrd head is the right choice.

Patrick, yes you are correct about your link to the 4 row, I forgot I then clicked on the two row link that was even cheaper. I'm not opposed to other country of origin products, I have many and sometimes I have taken that risk too - Banggood for some tools for instance. It can be a bit of a roll of the dice, but sometimes the quality is quite good for the price.
    Last edited by Dan Barber; 12-16-2023 at 10:51 AM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin