Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Shooting Board

1. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My shooting board is consistently accurate, or at least as accurate one can be with a try square and the human eye.

The key to making a consistently square case is in stock prep. Make it flat, make it square, make opposite pieces the same length. Squaring a piece is fairly easy with or without a shooting board. Making two or more pieces the same length is a simple task for a shooting board. Removing excess length of a "skosh" or less is fast work with little noise of an electric motor. Maybe even faster than firing up the table saw (if I had one).

I don't like gaps either:

Attachment 512871

This was cut on a miter box by hand with a thin blade saw. The "saw fuzz" was removed on a shooting board. I like the wood grain to line up as much as possible on the vertical face of the miter. I guess on an electric power saw this would require switching to a thinner blade.

I have made a few of these small cabinets, so I am not sure if this one was dead on or required a little adjustment to come together without creating a gap. Small adjustments of a degree or less are fairly easy to do by hand & eye.

I have made simple, permanent accessories to shoot angles of as little as 2-3º off of square up to 22-1/2º & 45º. There have also been a few others for one off projects.

jtk
    I'd love to hear about how you handle large carcases -- ~8' tall 20"+ deep.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Edward View Post
    I'd love to hear about how you handle large carcases -- ~8' tall 20"+ deep.
    Carefully, lifting with my knees not my back and a helper or two.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Those are impressive cuts. What did you do to reinforce the miters for gluing? Do you any pics of the finished project?
    Last edited by Mike Shields; 01-18-2024 at 7:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Shields View Post
    Those are impressive cuts. What did you do to reinforce the miters for gluing? Do you any pics of the finished project?
    Thanks for the kind words Mike.

The end grain on the miters may have a dab of Tite-Bond. The blue tape is holding down the glued shaving over the "blind nail."

There is this > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?232798 < post on "blind nailing" aka "invisible nails".

Here is the finished cabinet.

Tea Cabinet.jpgInside Tea Cabinet.jpg

That was among my first "tea cabinets." Kept learning along the way, then stopped selling things at the local farmers market.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-19-2024 at 1:02 AM. Reason: spellign
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)