Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to Lenox Classic

Alternative to Lenox Classic

I need to replace the Lenox classic 3/4", 3tpi hook tooth blade I've been using for breaking down rough blanks. I don't really have any complaints about the blade but wondering if there is a better option for me. I was looking at the CT but it only comes in 1" or greater width - also looked at the trimaster but no experience. My saw is a laguna 14bx (2.5hp version). Thanks for any direction.

Edit: I meant to post this in the turner's forum but it ended up here somehow.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 12-16-2023 at 8:51 PM.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have been using a Lenox Woodmaster-C, 1" x 2 TPI, for thick cuts and a Lenox Flex Back, 3/4" x 4 TPI, for thin material. They both work very well.
    Certainty a CT would be better, but it's more money too.
    My saw is a MM 16".

Regards,

Phil

Hi Philip,

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, both the C and CT come in 1" or greater, which is too large for my saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Glover View Post
    I have been using a Lenox Woodmaster-C, 1" x 2 TPI, for thick cuts and a Lenox Flex Back, 3/4" x 4 TPI, for thin material. They both work very well.
    Certainty a CT would be better, but it's more money too.
    My saw is a MM 16".

Regards,

Phil

You wouldn't want a CT on that saw even if offered in 3/4", as it's too thick. But I'm pretty sure the Laguna Resaw King comes in 3/4", and is made with a thinner band, but brace yourself for the price. You might consider the Lennox Diemaster II. Although limited to 1/2" width, many find it a good all-round blade.

Now that I look at the Classic you currently are using, it too has a 0.035" thick band. That really is pushing the limits for your saw, both in being able to tension it and with respect to longevity having to go around those small wheels.

John

Hey John, I have a 3/4 resaw king that's put aside for cutting veneer. I was using the classic mostly for very rough work, logs with bark, etc. I also have a Diemaster 2 and it's a good "utility" blade - it's also .035 though as the .025 doesn't come in 3 tpi. I have a 3/4 laguna pro force I haven't tried yet but if its anything like its 1/2" cousin, it will disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    You wouldn't want a CT on that saw even if offered in 3/4", as it's too thick. But I'm pretty sure the Laguna Resaw King comes in 3/4", and is made with a thinner band, but brace yourself for the price. You might consider the Lennox Diemaster II. Although limited to 1/2" width, many find it a good all-round blade.

Now that I look at the Classic you currently are using, it too has a 0.035" thick band. That really is pushing the limits for your saw, both in being able to tension it and with respect to longevity having to go around those small wheels.

John

For what it's worth, I also use a Wood Slicer 1/2" sometimes. It is 0.022" thick. It requires little force to get the correct tension and cuts well.
    Caveat: I have found the Wood Slicer blades to dull more quickly than anything else that I have ever used.

Phil

Ya, those are decent but looking for a little more durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Glover View Post
    For what it's worth, I also use a Wood Slicer 1/2" sometimes. It is 0.022" thick. It requires little force to get the correct tension and cuts well.
    Caveat: I have found the Wood Slicer blades to dull more quickly than anything else that I have ever used.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Hey John, I have a 3/4 resaw king that's put aside for cutting veneer. I was using the classic mostly for very rough work, logs with bark, etc. I also have a Diemaster 2 and it's a good "utility" blade - it's also .035 though as the .025 doesn't come in 3 tpi. I have a 3/4 laguna pro force I haven't tried yet but if its anything like its 1/2" cousin, it will disappoint.

You might consider the 0.025" thick Diemaster II with 4 tpi. I use a 3/8" x 4 tpi (Starrett, however) for most things on my 14" Delta and it cuts well, even ripping stuff several inches thick, surprisingly. Otherwise, the Olson MVP is a bi-metal blade that comes in 1/2" x 3 tpi that's 0.025" thick. I used a couple on my Delta, and they cut every bit as well as the Diemaster II, but left a slightly coarser finish.

John

Good info, I'll check out the Olson. Thanks again, John.

You might consider the 0.025" thick Diemaster II with 4 tpi. I use a 3/8" x 4 tpi (Starrett, however) for most things on my 14" Delta and it cuts well, even ripping stuff several inches thick, surprisingly. Otherwise, the Olson MVP is a bi-metal blade that comes in 1/2" x 3 tpi that's 0.025" thick. I used a couple on my Delta, and they cut every bit as well as the Diemaster II, but left a slightly coarser finish.

John
    Edit: looks like I'd have to drop them a ring, sizing on their site goes from 111" to 123" (no 115" options).
    Last edited by John Kananis; 12-17-2023 at 2:24 PM.

Laguna makes a 5/8" variable pitch 115" blade. ShearForce. I see that it is spring steel with heat treated teeth. I thought it used to be bimetal.

I'll second John's suggestion for the Lenox Diemaster 2- I use a 1/2" 3 tpi for everything except cutting veneer. Unless you are doing lots of tropical hardwoods, a carbide blade is probably overkill $-wise. Many larger suppliers will cut to custom length.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Hi Paul, I'm reluctant to try those. I tried a proforce blade and dulled it after breaking down 3 small cherry logs (about 4 or 5 inches thick and 24 inches long - yeah, really). It seemed similar in characteristics to the timberwolf blades so maybe it would have been better on dried and dressed lumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    Laguna makes a 5/8" variable pitch 115" blade. ShearForce. I see that it is spring steel with heat treated teeth. I thought it used to be bimetal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    I'll second John's suggestion for the Lenox Diemaster 2- I use a 1/2" 3 tpi for everything except cutting veneer. Unless you are doing lots of tropical hardwoods, a carbide blade is probably overkill $-wise. Many larger suppliers will cut to custom length.

Best,
    Chris
    I have a diemaster 2 in the shop (1/2", 3tpi .035) so I'm in good shape for now. Also decided to order a trimaster (3tpi with the thinner band) from spectrum supply.

I'm trying to cut down on the amount of (types of) blades I keep around. I didn't start breaking down rough material until I got a lathe and logs eat (the wrong) blades. Aside from the 1/4 and 3/8 blades, I'd like to keep 3 others on hand. Assuming my plan is sound, I'll keep the dm2 in the saw for the rough stuff, use the trimaster for my general day to day work in dried lumber and keep the resaw king for veneer work. That's the plan anyway.

Update: I installed the Diemaster 2 and it cuts efficiently. However, the quality of cut is quite diminished over the Lenox classic. I recommend the latter, very good blade.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Update: I installed the Diemaster 2 and it cuts efficiently. However, the quality of cut is quite diminished over the Lenox classic. I recommend the latter, very good blade.
    Good to know, thanks. If you were using the 3/4" Classic the lowest tooth count I see available is 4/6. If you used a 3 tpi Diemaster 2, then the cut quality difference might be expected.

John

John, the classic was in fact 3 tpi at 3/4". It's definitely available - just checked.

Good to know, thanks. If you were using the 3/4" Classic the lowest tooth count I see available is 4/6. If you used a 3 tpi Diemaster 2, then the cut quality difference might be expected.

John