Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a trick by which you can use mini wire drill bits in a std. 3/8" drill

The wire brushes referred to just above look similar to the Liyyoo brand carburetor cleaning tools I have. If welding brushes are similar in size but made from a stiffer (higher quality) material that might be an answer. But since the price indicates there probably isn't much difference ,my thinking is still to drill the jet out with a powered or mechanical device. Local stores do not carry the part to the carburetor separately. I'd have to buy a new carburetor to get a new part. I'll probably have to do that if I ruin the part drilling through the clogged jet. We'll see how well I perform tomorrow if the pin vices arrive on time. If all goes well, I'll perform all the recommended maintenance procedures as we're supposed to have a difficult winter. Thanks everyone for your time to give me the benefit of your experiences!
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    The wire brushes referred to just above look similar to the Liyyoo brand carburetor cleaning tools I have. If welding brushes are similar in size but made from a stiffer (higher quality) material that might be an answer. But since the price indicates there probably isn't much difference ,my thinking is still to drill the jet out with a powered or mechanical device. Local stores do not carry the part to the carburetor separately. I'd have to buy a new carburetor to get a new part. I'll probably have to do that if I ruin the part drilling through the clogged jet. We'll see how well I perform tomorrow if the pin vices arrive on time. If all goes well, I'll perform all the recommended maintenance procedures as we're supposed to have a difficult winter. Thanks everyone for your time to give me the benefit of your experiences!
    The torch tip cleaner/Carb port cleaner is a wire with ridges that make it a file so you start with whichever can get in the tip and run it in and out half dozen times and then move up to the next until you reach desired diameter

Hi Don,
    I retired from my GP DDS practice and have boxes of endodontic(root canal) files that are perfect to "obterate" plugged canals. Some SS, some nickel/titanium.
    Let me know if interested in trying them. ??Stocking stuffer??

Micro Mark sells chucks for mini drill bits that have a standard 1/4" shank. They have one that holds bits from 1/16" to 1/8" and one that holds bits from #61 to #80.

https://www.micromark.com/search?keywords=drill%20chuck

Derek

Bought a pin vice years ago. Had to wrap drill bit shank with blue tape, then clamp in the pin vice. Have to replace the tape rather often.

I had the same issue with the carb on my Kawasaki Mule. Such a tiny idle circuit hole. Not even a pin or needle would fit in. Used one of those small drills just between my fingers to clean out the hole. I think any kind of motorized unit would have broken the drill bit. It kept plugging up, even with new fuel filters. Finally gave up, bought a new carb from China and now it runs right. It was a real pain getting the carb off to get to the jets.... Good luck. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Wrap the bit in thin copper wire. If you need to, use stranded wire and separate a few strands. The copper should compress and hold the bit in place.

Got the pin vise Bill Howett recommended. Goes from 0" to almost 1/8". Thus it held the .8mm mini micro bit just fine. Drilled the clogged part out and can see a little light through now. Engine runs much better, a little sputtering but not enough to stop me from using the snow thrower. Thanks to all!
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.