Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a trick by which you can use mini wire drill bits in a std. 3/8" drill

Is there a trick by which you can use mini wire drill bits in a std. 3/8" drill

I have a carburetor on my snow thrower which has a plugged brass jet. I have twisted mini wires that fit into the gap which is much less than 1/16". Can't twist or push the twisted wires into the opening of the jet. Will need to be drilled out. If there is no solution to this problem, I've got to buy a special drill that will accommodate mini micro bits. But it came to me sometimes someone out there has run in to this problem and might have come up with a functional workaround. Any solutions is welcome, or other work around before I lay out $$$ for a mini micro drill and drill bits. Thanks in advance.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

There is an adapter chuck for small bits.
    https://www.amazon.com/LABEA
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Bryan's link comes back as "Can't find that page" for me. How about this keyless chuck in a Dremel? I just ordered one so I don't know how good it is yet but says it goes down to 1/32". https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

In a pinch, I insert the drill bit into a section of rubber wire insulation, the outside portion of any piece of wire, like 14ga lamp cord. Tighten with chuck key
    Regards,

Tom

I do own a small chuck for my mini mill for accuracy. If I need to do something like you described I just chuck a pin vice in the drill. Works fine.
    Jim

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Invest in a pin vise. I have a 40 year old version of the linked pin vise. I can’t tell you how many times it has paid for itself.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...zcF9hdGY&psc=1
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I bought a mini chuck off eBay. I need to drill 1/32" holes regularly in ebony, jatoba, and other hard woods. Mine was about $9 several years ago, no brand name that I had heard of. It has worked great. It goes from 1/32" to 1/4" and has a 1/4" hex shaft to go in a power screwdriver. Mine looks a lot like these ones at the link, but I don't recall having size choices back then.

ebay item 395034369552
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-17-2023 at 4:15 PM. Reason: Removed active ebay link per TOS

Thanks people, I looked for the adapter tool and also found that page doesn't exist anymore. Tried placing the bit in lamp cord outer plastic...couldn't tighten it enough to prevent bit from sliding back into the cord. I have the pin vise on order from
    Amazon. It should come Tuesday. However, there is a Toro repair place not too far from me. If by the greatest piece of luck they have this small piece of rubber with very small inserted Brass Jet, I'll probably buy one, It's only 3/4" long with a diameter of 5-7mm. It couldn't be more than $5.00 and probably less.

I have a pin chuck similar to this one. Just install the correct jaw size, put it in your drill or press, put in the little bit and drill away (carefully).

https://www.amazon.com/Piece-Pin-Chu...2843035&sr=8-3

Can you use a welding tip cleaner

Do you have a Dremel? The chucks for them are cheap and will work with tiny drill bits. But I really like the oxy/acetelyne tip cleaner idea. Less than $3 https://www.walmart.com/ip/13-in-1-M...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Can you use a welding tip cleaner
    A winner, we have a winner!

How didI miss the pin vise recommended by Bill Howett. That goes from 0" up. Can put it in any of my 3 drills. Looks solid. Fortunately the stuff I ordered is FREE shipping & returns.

Tried welding once, with no supervision and cheap equipment. I do have a set of thin twisted wire rods from very small to almost 1/8". Looks like what I saw advertised as welding tip cleaners. Tried to put the smallest size in the orifice of the jet. It just bent as I tried to push it in farther. Even used a set of pliers to hold it close to the opening so I could put some force behind it...just bent. Conclusion: it needs to be drilled out, manually or with some sort of drill.
    Last edited by Don Morris; 12-17-2023 at 7:49 PM.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    How didI miss the pin vise recommended by Bill Howett. That goes from 0" up. Can put it in any of my 3 drills. Looks solid. Fortunately the stuff I ordered is FREE shipping & returns.
    I can't speak to the one Bill linked to but I was looking for a miniature chuck like that for my cnc. I went through 1/2 dozen before I found one that ran true.. sort of.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If you are buying.
    https://www.amazon.com/Herain-Carbur...79&sr=8-6&th=1

These are very cheap. I think your mainly paying for shipping. You can get 10 for 10