Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many sharp edge tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I like having a set of short chisels among my tools. They are very handy for close work and hinge mortises.

Attachment 515432

These three are the most used of my Butt Chisels. From left to right: a 1-1/4" Stanley 4xx series (the knurling at the top of the socket was from the factory on these), a 1" Karpenter and a 7/8" Witherby.

jtk

I was watching restoration of some chisels on Youtube- one tang and one socket. At the end he held them up, the socket one by the metal part and said that you have to be careful as that kind of handle can come loose, allowing the blade to drop on foot or floor.

Any thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I was watching restoration of some chisels on Youtube- one tang and one socket. At the end he held them up, the socket one by the metal part and said that you have to be careful as that kind of handle can come loose, allowing the blade to drop on foot or floor.

Any thoughts on that?
    Traditionally, a socket fit is just a dry pressure only fit.
    As always, it depends on the wood, the chisel, how it's used, etc. Once properly fitted, they will hold securely, or at least until the humidity changes.
    I use epoxy on all my socket chisels to keep them from loosening up.
    Where I live, it's low humidity in the summer and every handle in the shop shrinks to the point where some hammer heads get loose. In the winter, everything tightens back up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I like the ball end on the Karpenter, looks like it fits well in the palm for pushing.
    Yes, it is rather comfortable against the palm. The ring at the base also fits nicely between my fingers if it needs a tap or two from a mallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post

Any thoughts on that?
    One does need to be careful with their socket chisels. Over time a few of mine that used to fall off regularly have stayed put for a couple years now since treating them to an adjustment.

There are a few chisels in the shop that need handles. The current to do list is rather long. If time allows maybe some pictures and procedures on fitting socket chisel handles can be posted.

If morse taper tools can hold solid in metal, it shouldn't be difficult to have similar results with wood.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-13-2024 at 1:59 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yeah, well, the thing is that when I get that “one more” the situation remains the same- I still need just one more

Not counting saws I’d guess I have about 40 edged tools (planes, chisels, knives, gouges, etc.)

Related question - how many of your edged tools have drawn blood?

I managed to nick my finger sharpening my scorp last night, which reminded me once again I really should keep some band aids in my garage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ellenberger View Post
    Not counting saws I’d guess I have about 40 edged tools (planes, chisels, knives, gouges, etc.)

Related question - how many of your edged tools have drawn blood?

I managed to nick my finger sharpening my scorp last night, which reminded me once again I really should keep some band aids in my garage.
    My edged tools do not attack me much. Though my pocket knife got me today when it was used to cut some Gorilla Tape.

Years ago, band aids were kept in my wallet. Different times with different work environments. My fingers don't need them as often now that there are a lot of sharp things around.

There are a few kept in the shop just to keep Candy calm by not having to walk in the house holding a rag around my finger.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Yeah, well, the thing is that when I get that “one more” the situation remains the same- I still need just one more

Me too
    My weakness is when James Spangler posts another tool for sale. I have bought a Stanley 3,4,5 plane from him, along with block planes, screwdrivers, etc. When my wife sees them she puts them on display in living room. I can use them as long as they are put back CLEAN.
    Ron

Well, now that Ben has Jinxed us all, I'm pretty much on the same page as Jim.
    Whether it's time/experience or the fear of pain, it doesn't happen often.
    I like to keep all the tools in use "sharp", it's the semi-sharp to dull ones that cause the problems. When they get dull, they get set aside or sharpened.

I cut my finger on the side of a chisel the other day. The finger joint box I was paring has some blood accents.

Need to dull those edges down...

I got the biggest one cleaned up and 95% sharp and it is on the job.
    This one is a bench chisel & was not in too bad of shape except the boxwood handle is cracked and the hoop is missing. Got it fully sharp & shown next to one from the set that I got in the '80s and one from another set.
    they are 42mm wide- the common widest in a set of ten.
    Edit- I used a jig to establish the bevel as it was all over the place and some chips to remove.

IMG_4756.jpegIMG_4757.jpeg
    Last edited by Cameron Wood; 02-16-2024 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Me too
    My weakness is when James Spangler posts another tool for sale. I have bought a Stanley 3,4,5 plane from him, along with block planes, screwdrivers, etc.
    I guarantee you missed a few, Ron. I got proof.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

You got some before I saw them
    Ron

This one's done. Filled the handle crack with a shaped bit of wood, made a hoop from a 1/2" pipe coupling & fitted it, and made a sheath.

IMG_4765.jpegIMG_4764.jpegIMG_4766.jpeg

Number of steps to upload three photos from desktop: twenty five!