Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas present to myself

Christmas present to myself

I found the inventor sells directly on ebay for half the price it goes for in other places. My back is not getting any younger, and I will have more to set, so I ordered one. I was never quite satisfied with the guesswork involved in setting one anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225905781890

Nice present Tom. I know those toilets aren't getting any lighter as we age.

But I have to admit my first thought when I saw the picture was for a new product. I know they have living room chairs that tilt up to help a person get up and figure with an accordian tube connection why not have a toilet that does that.

We bought one 20 years ago not exactly the same for a job we had setting 60 toilets or so. As I recall the field guys didnt like it or use it and it went in the dumpster. Though they were probably younger and dumber. I was the same. There isnt much guesswork as much as lower back pain. For floor mounts I set it and tighten it down then give it a good sitting(spelled correctly) then retighten till snug but not cracked.

Honestly, I hope it works for you.
    I will say, my first thought at seeing the photo was, why didn't they remove the tank? maybe that's just me.

Setting a new one is easy before it's put together, but I have four old ones that need to be reset in a rental house, and two more coming up in another building, plus two more in a year or so. It's not as easy as it used to be. If it's not quite like I would like it, I don't mind cutting and welding to get it just like I would like it to be.

Edward, it's just a lot more time and water to clean up to take the tank off of one that needs to be reset.

These are my current favorite closet bolts: https://www.fluidmaster.com/products...-toilet-bolts/
    https://www.google.com/search?q=fast...6YDJ19Bnw,st:0

and these caps: https://www.danco.com/product/univer...t-caps-2-pack/

For washers I use 316 stainless 5/16 x1-1/4" fender washers. They show a little bit around those caps, but I don't care about that.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-18-2023 at 1:54 PM.

I like to cut a drinking straw into two pieces one about 1/3 and the other 2/3 of total length. Cut them at 45 degees. Place them over the toilet bolts, cut end up, and use that to guide the bolts into the holes on the toilet base. Mcdonalds has the biggest diameter straws.
    Bill D

I've thought about getting one of those that's more a a modified hand truck, but the storage/use number is not great.

I like those bolt caps.

After I cut off some steel closet bolts with a grinder and etched the toilet surface, I make sure not to do that, & always have brass bolts are on hand. The little ratcheting wrenches also for closet and tank bolts.

Shims from slices of PVC pipe cut on the bandsaw.

I don't caulk the toilet to the floor. Many years of toilets show that the caulked ones are more gross under than the non-caulked ones.

I always warn clients against skirted toilets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I like to cut a drinking straw into two pieces one about 1/3 and the other 2/3 of total length. Cut them at 45 degees. Place them over the toilet bolts, cut end up, and use that to guide the bolts into the holes on the toilet base. Mcdonalds has the biggest diameter straws.
    Bill D
    That is a good idea.

Tom ,
    Maybe find a way to point some inexpensive laser pointers thru the toilet mounting holes to help target the closet bolts
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

I started having to pay handymen to do stuff like this, like a good mechanic, hang onto a good one and don't share with your friends. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    I started having to pay handymen to do stuff like this, like a good mechanic, hang onto a good one and don't share with your friends. Brian
    Having been that handyman during working years, I kept the same customers from opening my business till my retirement. Never printed a business card. As for setting whole toilet, I say no way. If you are going to reset an existing, most likely you will be replacing the tank bolts, so why not separate the tank first? Cut off water, then flush, holding handle till as much water as possible is gone down the drain. Then using wet/dry vacuum, remove remaining water from both tank and bowl. I've always done the "plumber's waddle," holding the bowl between my legs to place it. The bolts referenced, have a problem in their description. In paragraph, they are described as plated to resist rust, and down the page described as solid brass. Normally, other than American Standard, which come with this kind of bolt, use a TEE nut threaded onto bolts above flange to hold bolt in place. Hated to caulk a toilet in place. If wax ring failed, water was kept under toilet with no chance of being seen till floor rotted out.

Thanks Tom , saved to watchlist, had to replace wax ring in 1/2 bath at daughters house. this would have been great. no longer young.
    Ron

I’ve never seen a toilet caddy in operation. I can still handle a two piece set up, but the last several I’ve set have been one piece, which I greatly prefer, and I simply cannot deal with those. Both he SIL are strong, so I catch them in teaching moments Top it off withthe Toto 550 Washlet Seat and you are good to go.

I only have 2 toilets with which to contend. The last time I reset one, and it was a 2 piece toilet without the tank, I wish I had something like this. I'm getting older, weaker and my body does protest these days. It didn't protest in my teen years working for a haying contractor or on the floor of an oil rig but in my mid-70's it protests!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'll make a video when it comes and I use it for the first time. There are some, but only with pretty disgusting toilets or poor focus.