Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christmas present to myself

I used it today but it went so fast and easy that I didn't take any video. That toilet had a 24" riser that made a bend behind the toilet, so it was long enough that I didn't even have to unhook it. Cut the water off, flushed it to lighten the tank end, jacked it up, and rolled it sideways. The problem was just a rusted out 1/4" brass coated steel bolt.

Those fast set bolts are sold brass, and are really fast set.

I used a couple of wooden wedges to scrape up most of the old wax seal and put it in plastic grocery bags in the dishpan I carried in to put the trash in.

Next time I'll try to have some milkshake straws which would make alignment easier without having to look back and forth to get it exactly in the right place before easing the pressure off the jack to lower it.

Total job took less than 15 minutes with no waddling around, no strain, and it didn't spill any water. As much as 15 minutes because I had to find the vacuum cleaner to get up the dirt that my shoes tracked in.

Especially since I can deduct it against that rental income, I'm really pleased with the purchase. I'm going to replace all the other bolts and seals in the other toilets in there, and if they don't have the long risers, I'm changing those too.

The acorn nuts that come with those Fast Set bolts are too thick to allow the screw on cap adapters but I had some regular brass hex nuts that worked fine. The company that makes that jack sells bolts with caps that have the nuts built into the caps that would be best, but they come with nylon bolts and cost more than this combination that I like best.

never seen one and back is still fine even at this antique age. For alignment which was an issue for me putting it back exact I glued wood blocks to the floor hot melt and it went back 100 percent back in the exact same place. Id already shimmed and glued them to the floor as well. Havent done it enough times to get a system down but the micgiver way I did worked fine.

The trick to the drinking straw tip is make them different enough in height that you only need to align the tall one, then keeping that aligned, you catch the short straw. Small rubber hose also works.
    BilL D

My method:

make 4 wood cubes 1 1/2" and two short straws

Set toilet in place and draw around it with felt tip. this target is helpful.

remove toilet and instal wax

place wood cubes and set toilet on them

place bolts and hold them up with straws thru toilet

rock toilet to remove cubes

or hire a sumo wrestler

bought one for work, Plummer has been complaining about his back hurting. already have people interested in using it at home.
    Ron