Thread: Fold Up Work Table with a Four Bar Linkage

Blog Entries

Fold Up Work Table with a Four Bar Linkage

I’ve had this drawn up for a while and finally had time to build it. I’m super happy with the ease of use and the space saving aspects. The 4 bar linkage uses its weight to keep it secure in both the up and down positions without a latch. It also allows the least depth while down and keeps my laser etcher from hitting when folding up.

I used skateboard bearings in the linkages with 8 mm shafts. I was given the material for the top and the remainder was scrap from other projects. The oak linkages and mounts make for a very solid mechanism. It is very rigid and could be made to work for anything you want to fold up easily to save space.

I’m super happy with it and thought I’d share it.

FWIW - I tried to attach a video from my iPhone but was unsuccessful. I try later on my computer.

IMG_2694.jpg IMG_2695.jpg IMG_2696.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very cool! Did you come up with that, or is it an existing design- haven't seen it before.

Blog Entries
    The four bar mechanism has been around for a very long time. You’ll see it occasionally on various things. I don’t remember what I saw it on initially that gave me the idea to use it for a fold up work table.
    I’d say it’s my design using a well established linkage mechanism.

You can arrange a 4 bar linkage in various ways to achieve lots of different motions.

Blog Entries
    This is the YouTube video link to see it in action:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/W5z-eyWMx...EYRK4stz6egE-s