Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a RAS in my shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Yep, and the jigsaw doesn’t require an altar of worship to use either
    Sort of.....there are plenty of members of the church of the sacred Bosch.

As far as a RAS goes, I talk myself out of one almost weekly. I could make room, but, I'd rather not have to.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 12-19-2023 at 9:46 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Valid points, Warren, but I think the OP is asking about the utility of a RAS vs a slider with regards to hobby level work in a small shop. Not many hobbyists need to cut 50 or more boards (picked that number at random) to rough length. Ten might be on the high side for a project, or portions of a project, and there are plenty of ways to do that short of using a RAS, including a handsaw which I occasionally use when it's the best option for me. And this from a guy who loves his RAS.

John

I had a RAS maybe 30 years ago. I got rid of it because it wasn't useful. It wasn't as accurate as a good compound miter saw and not as versatile as a table saw. I don't miss it one bit. Plus it took up way too much space so the decision to get rid of it was easy. There's a reason why you don't see them around too much anymore, in my opinion.

But you already own one, so only you know if you use it enough to justify the space it takes up. For me, it was a net negative on my workflow. 99% of the time, it was in the way. And the other 1%, I had another tool available that would do what it could do.

I counted and 10 machines in my first shop smaller space than that. That shop allowed me to save to buy the next shop which has allowed me to save to buy the next one if I find one that is right.

Id never agree with anyone a slider can replace a radial arm saw to cross cut rough material. We were taught never do anything by hand that a machine will do, its common sense. Ive already said the skill saw will work. Its both slower and clunky compared to the radial. Look at Jack and how much hes done with his radial with his old heads once again better to pass a head over material that is big, long or heavy.

1.JPG2.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-19-2023 at 11:27 AM.

I got rid of mine about 10 years ago also, and haven't missed it. Don't have a slider, so I make do with my SCMS, track saw, and cabinet saw.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

as always it depends on the work you do. There are hobby guys that have better machines than I have even now. I dont care the acid test is when you are out in the real world making a living in a not easy trade to make a living in.

I'll throw in a few more things I've seen over the years.
    Some people are scared of them, for what exact reason, I don't know.
    Many people don't know all the capabilities a RAS has. They lock it at 0 bevel, 90 degrees and there it sits. (sames goes for most with their SCMS but that's another thread)
    I find having a larger table/work surface than any SCMS is a benefit, not to mention the cross-cut capacity also exceeds any SCMS with the same size blade.

Work flow is a very personal preference type of thing, I find when setting up machines for a specific project, there is always some instance where an RAS can be utilized. Usually keeping me from changing setups on other machines to do the same operation.

Hopefully all the info in this thread helps the OP decide

thats cause they were never taught how to use them. Ive stated it a number of times here.

Blog Entries
    RAS and (S)CMS threads are always a can of worms. Some folks can't live without them and that's fine. Even with 1200 square feet I can't spare the footprint for the function. That decision will vary with what you do. For what I do, I do not need either. That doesn't mean you won't benefit greatly from one or the other.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If you have the space for a well-tuned RAS, I suggest keeping it. Blame You-Tube, but I have seen some there that have made good use for one and it is interesting (Dusty Lumber Company, Bradshaw Joinery, Frank Makes). I've seen the Dusty Lumber guy making tenons, half-laps and grooves with his, and he also has a sliding table saw. Keep the blade at 90 degrees and make some add-on sleds to make 45 degree cuts or others, referencing off the RAS fence.
    I once owned the Ryobi RAS but it was just a lightweight running an 8 inch blade; didn't keep it long.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    RAS and (S)CMS threads are always a can of worms. Some folks can't live without them and that's fine. Even with 1200 square feet I can't spare the footprint for the function. That decision will vary with what you do. For what I do, I do not need either. That doesn't mean you won't benefit greatly from one or the other.
    That's my issue, Glenn. I have 720 square feet and the Craftsman RAS is taking up space I could use.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have an Omga RM700 I have not the room for I am thinking of selling. Great saw, but I just don't have a place for it in my semi-retirement shop.

You'll have no consensus of opinions here.

I have a super deadly accurate old Hitachi which is dead on accurate and rarely needs adjusting, so I could live without a Radial Arm Saw. And I have a tiny woodshop, so it would take up valuable floor space, so I vote ....

Wait a minute, I have a 12" radial arm saw and love mine. It is an old pre-war 240v Rockwell and is deadly accurate and easy to adjust with some allen wrenches if need be, and cuts through 2x4 and 4x4 lumber like a breeze and does a great job of dados on narrow (< 12") stock. It is on casters so it can be wheeled out of the shop to cut down large lumber and can be fitted with an auxiliary fence and stop block for repeatable cross cuts.

I use mine weekly, so I vote to keep mine.
    Regards,

Tom

LOL Thomas.

I used to have 3 but now I'm down to two and will stand pat. Both old, one Craftsman and one Rockwell and they are both bang on accurate, and the 15" cut length is huge when I need it. It is a versatile machine, I have screwed a drill chuck on the end opposite the blade and used it to bore holes in the tops of posts perfectly straight and square. (is that redundant?) Right now one is set up with a 10" sanding disk that I can tilt to any angle.

A 12" with 18" cut length would have me drooling.

She's a keeper.

I will summarize this thread and numerous like it: Yes or no, you be the judge