Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this too much "Fiquire"?

Blog Entries

Is this too much "Fiquire"?

I'm building a sideboard with 3 drawers. Here are pics of the carcass and the board I'm considering using for the 3 drawers. As I hope you can see, drawer front board has lots of "Defects". Question is it Too much? Let me know what you think?

If there's interest I could post build thread with pics of the process. Pretty much all hand tools excepts for re-sawing panels etc.

Thanks, Mike

39.jpg40.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]

I'd run a spline down the narrow edge above the knot to add some strength, stabilize the center with some penetrating goop and make it a feature.

Depends on where it's going. In company of refined traditional furniture, not so good. In a more eclectic mix- why not.

Also depends on the drawer pulls. You can try it and bail if you don't like the look- just don't use any blue epoxy.

Hi Mike,

Alway enjoy seeing your builds, so please do post if you can.

What about a veneer inlay with some outer banding on the middle drawer over the major knotty section?

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I wouldn’t use that board Mike.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

It looks like an elephant that just stole some lingerie off a clothes-line….”not that there’s anything wrong with that” .

Not sure if this would work out, but if you used plain sections for the two outside drawers and the figured section for the middle drawer, it might work. I'd also consider the finish you will be using: the finish could make the figured part stand out somewhat less.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    I'm building a sideboard with 3 drawers. Here are pics of the carcass and the board I'm considering using for the 3 drawers. As I hope you can see, drawer front board has lots of "Defects". Question is it Too much? Let me know what you think?

If there's interest I could post build thread with pics of the process. Pretty much all hand tools excepts for re-sawing panels etc.

Thanks, Mike

39.jpg40.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]

I’m in the same camp as Frederick. I would save that piece for another project.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My initial thought was to encourage you to pass on this board, But the more I envision the end result the more I like the idea of using this board. I think the figure will be stunning and unusual and a one of a kind piece when completed. Using something more uniform is certainly the safe way to go. Is this a commissioned piece or something for you? If memory serves, you are done making furniture for your residence. Maybe consult with the eventual owner. Throw some mineral spirits in a rag and wipe it down to show them what the finished product might look like. If you are making this to sell or give away, then I say go for it!
    Last edited by Joe A Faulkner; 12-18-2023 at 8:10 PM.

Too me it’s pretty rustic but still has enough good parts to make it a contender for drawer fronts. I wouldn’t cut the Dovetails until I had the other parts. Just in case there’s a arrangement that makes all the parts marry.
    Good Luck Mike
    Aj

I personally wouldn't use that void on a piece otherwise as well built as this one will very likely be. The knot, to me is actually OK in this context, but the void is giving me heartburn.

Just asking, could you resaw the plank, use the left half unfolded bookmatched, throw away the void and have two smaller panels to use elsewhere? It looks like a really tight fit but possible with my dividers on my computer monitor. It would put a vertical grain mirror line in the center of the middle drawer if it is even possible.

M2c.

I would be required to keep that piece front and center. I build for the wife and family.
    All depends on who you are building for.
    Ron

Mike, nice project. I second Christopher's request for build pictures. For me, hand tool builds is what interests me in the Neanderthal forum. Those vertical dovetail drawer separators are always a challenge.

Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead

The tree hath spoken, and you should build with it as you have it laid out in the photos

This was what I had come through my shop...while building that November Project..
    A Nov. Project, MONDAY, knotty.JPG
    A closer look? (Hide yer eyes, Mabel!)
    A Nov. Project, MONDAY, big knot.JPG
    The wood is Ash...and no, this did NOT get used...

By the way...what does the other face look like in that spot?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use