Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much does a shop build add to property value?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    She's also be annoyed at the cost...it's kinda a sad situation because the folks who bought the property (a local neighbor) did so to rehab the home that was on the land and resell it. Unfortunately, they did not look carefully enough at the condition of the home. (really sad because the guy is an experienced builder but let his desire to help the neighborhood cloud his eyesight) Since it was an "as is" sale, they were then stuck with a building that couldn't be salvaged due to excessive water damage, mold and some significant structural issues. Oh, and a layer of asbestos in the paster. They bought for a low price, but the cost to remediate the asbestos (even doing the labor themselves) was "yuge" and the cost to demolish the structure, haul off the 'stuff' and then regrade the property to presentable was considerable. I helped with the land work and with a little of the pre-demolition. I don't believe anyone would just come off the street and buy the lot for what they have to ask for it to break even, so it will have to be a "build to suit" to ultimately sell it. The guy, while being a great builder, has some major health issues so that's not going to happen anytime soon. Meanwhile...I have a lovely .375 acre lawn next door to my own half acre that I mow and keep in a park-like condition.

Well it's great to have the extra land next to you until it's bought and built on, and you don't need to even pay the taxes for it. I actually suspect the taxes where you are are about 1/2 what I pay. The actual cost of the land/house would most likely be comparable +/- a bit from where I am in Central NJ. I almost fell on the floor when i saw a few houses sell in our neighborhood. They are closing in on 3 times what I paid for it my house in 2002.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Well it's great to have the extra land next to you until it's bought and built on, and you don't need to even pay the taxes for it. I actually suspect the taxes where you are are about 1/2 what I pay. The actual cost of the land/house would most likely be comparable +/- a bit from where I am in Central NJ. I almost fell on the floor when i saw a few houses sell in our neighborhood. They are closing in on 3 times what I paid for it my house in 2002.
    I seriously doubt that it will be built on for a very long time...and I'm fine with that. And if I won the lottery, I'd buy it to insure that, too. My taxes are higher here than at the larger property over in Buckingham, but at about $8K, are likely less than many areas of NJ. Yea, the price of RE is up there. I wish I would have gotten the appreciation we expected at the old property, but alas, it was too unique and took a long time to find a buyer. It is what it is. and there's a nice young family there now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I seriously doubt that it will be built on for a very long time...and I'm fine with that. And if I won the lottery, I'd buy it to insure that, too. My taxes are higher here than at the larger property over in Buckingham, but at about $8K, are likely less than many areas of NJ. Yea, the price of RE is up there. I wish I would have gotten the appreciation we expected at the old property, but alas, it was too unique and took a long time to find a buyer. It is what it is. and there's a nice young family there now.
    Yup - my property taxes are almost double yours, approaching 15K a year now, even though the median home price sale in Feb 2024 between Middlesex Country, NJ and Bucks County PA is very close (8% difference). So even though it would cost me about the same to buy a house in Buck County, I could save a ton each year on property tax, but sure will have an angry wife that needs to commute an extra 40 minutes. And well, my commute when i need to go up to my office in Bridgewater would be sorta the same. However the cost to move will take a bunch of years to recover with the potential tax savings, and hopefully in 10 to 12 years or so from now we will kiss the garden state goodbye and move somewhere much more cost effective. And one with a nice big shop not in the basement

Blog Entries
    My wife's family home in Boston just hit the market. My old micro shop in the basement did not even get an image or a mention in the listing. Step mom is selling the house with out Wife and BIL's consent or involvement : (

https://www.compass.com/listing/well...5897432470161/
    Best Regards, Maurice

I seriously doubt that it will be built on for a very long time...and I'm fine with that. And if I won the lottery, I'd buy it to insure that, too. My taxes are higher here than at the larger property over in Buckingham, but at about $8K, are likely less than many areas of NJ. Yea, the price of RE is up there.
    When I first moved to this area in the mid-late '80s SWMBO Real Estate Broker was showing me listing books (well before online stuff). I was looking at properties in Hunterdon County NJ and there were what looked like very nice properties for some very nice prices. When I remarked on this she said "look at the taxes". HOLY COW!! I can only imagine today. I own a 1500 sq.ft. townhouse, my brother in Wisconsin owns about 160 acres with single family home and outbuildings. We pay about the same in property taxes.

Curt, my taxes here at the new place near DelVal at a hair more than half the square footage and a half acre vs 4 acres at the old place in Buckingham is about the same. Things in truly rural areas are a lot different as you note.
    --

Blog Entries
    Taxes at our woodlot in Howard County MO have gone up from $30 to $40 over the last 7 years. I put up a 12 x 40 tractor shed in 2018. The assessor has not added any improvements to our assessment yet. In Columbia MO the tax assessors office follows up on any building permit application within a few days. I warn my clients that the assessors agent will be right on the heels of the building inspector.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-09-2024 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typos
    Best Regards, Maurice

When we built our house, we added a 30 x 32 shop with 12ft ceiling and complete brick veneer. We built the shop with a full bathroom and with central air. We installed cable TV, telephone, security system. The entire shop is sheetrocked with premium vinyl flooring and recessed lighting. The shop was built with the intention that it could be converted into a 960 sqft 2 bedroom guest house with a minimum cash outlay. We already have a kitchenette installed with allowances for a full stove.
    We figured a shop would not add very much value but a guest room in our neighborhood is very desirable. I believe we're in position to regain a good portion of our investment on the shop.

When we had our house built in '86 the cost for living space was $50/sq ft. Add a basement $5/sq ft Add a garage 5$/sq ft. Of course the numbers are much higher today but the ratios should be similar.

So if you plan to build a shop, it might be best to build garage quality, then add HVAC and finish it like a shop. If the next owner wants to convert it to living space let him go at it. Living space is pretty much just good for living. But there are people who would see a garage as space to store old cars, boats, ATVs, yard equipment etc. Much easier to find that kind of buyer.
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 03-11-2024 at 8:02 PM.

If it's "just a room", not as much as a nice en-suite would, even thought they are both "living space". But there are still many variables. I don't recall if an attached garage is calculated into the living space or not, but if not, increasing the living space might have some level of immediate uplift in resale value. Whether it covers the expense of conversion or not is a moving target.
    In AZ the area of the garage per se is not calculated in the living space.
    I'm (oh, so slowly) converting my ~ 450 sqft attached garage into a shop.

I have to upgrade the electrical to the house from 150 to 200A (which is the max the old neighbor infrastructure has available) and then will have 100A subpanel installed in the gara-shop.
    A minisplit will also be installed. Garage will be insulated on one wall (outer facing). Block is on the other two [house] walls.
    Door will be insulated but I'm debating exactly how I want to do that.
    Even when all is said and done, it still may not be considered a "living space" because it has no window.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I wonder if another drop would be possible. I've done that before and know others that have for things like kilns.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

In our county, a garage is not included in the square feet. However, if it is designated as a guest cottage, with all the necessary conveniences, it is included in the total square feet.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I wonder if another drop would be possible. I've done that before and know others that have for things like kilns.
    If you mean separate electrical service, that can often be arranged, but may be more expensive long term than upgrading the total service to the property from the typical 200 amp residential service to 400 amps and splitting between the residence and the shop. One bill that way and that's how I did it, both at the old property and our current one. When you go for a second meter/service, depending on the local power provider, you may be hit with a business account and business rate structure or minimally with an extra fee for the extra meter. (Our provider even had an extra fee for an old second meter that was on this house from back in the time when things like laundry and other high power use appliances were separated for billing purposes...once that meter was removed, our bill dropped about $10)
    --

ROFLOL!!! There's a lot available next door if you want to be my neighbor...
    At least he wouldn't complain about the shop noise...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O'Neill View Post
    At least he wouldn't complain about the shop noise...
    That is very true.