Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taunton Press sold to Active Interest Media…

Taunton Press sold to Active Interest Media…

…which in turn is owned by B&W.

B&W otherwise known as Betterment & Wonderment Communications LLC is a newly formed* Colorado based company created to acquire and better enthusiast media brands.

February 2021

This group owns Popular Woodworking, Woodshop News, and Woodsmith, as well as a couple dozen hobby-oriented media products.

I don’t know; do you think Woodsmith is on a par with the quality of Fine Woodworking?

Much wailing and gnashing of teeth occurring over at the FWW forum over this issue. I'm hopeful they'll continue FWW with the same quality it's historically had. Time will tell.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

They're both good, in my ever-so humble opinion, as are WOOD, Woodcraft, and Woodworker's Journal. Each has its own "personality" and is good in their own way. I do wonder a bit what "better" means to them.
    Last edited by Gary Petersen; 12-20-2023 at 8:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Much wailing and gnashing of teeth occurring over at the FWW forum over this issue. I'm hopeful they'll continue FWW with the same quality it's historically had. Time will tell.
    Everyone over there seems to automatically think the worst. It might be a good move, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Everyone over there seems to automatically think the worst. It might be a good move, who knows.
    Good point Edward. For all we know, they might be saving Taunton from going under. Some have said that the market for such publications is shrinking, and that the number of hobbyists who support them, is declining as Boomers fade away.

I have subscribed to all the different ww'ing magazines at one time or another over the years, and my measure of interest is based on there being at least one article, project, tip, or even an ad, per issue, that is useful . FWW is the one that takes longest to read so it's the best of them, although I like Woodsmith too.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    …which in turn is owned by B&W.

B&W otherwise known as Betterment & Wonderment Communications LLC is a newly formed* Colorado based company created to acquire and better enthusiast media brands.

February 2021

This group owns Popular Woodworking, Woodshop News, and Woodsmith, as well as a couple dozen hobby-oriented media products.

I don’t know; do you think Woodsmith is on a par with the quality of Fine Woodworking?
    I generally think that when one company essentally corners the market on something, it is bad for the consumer. Look for the characteristics that currently distinguish these publications from one another to fade as the front and back office talent and admin get blended across the organizations to drive overall costs down.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Woodsmith is not what it once was, I have every issue from #1 to today, I have been a subscriber since the beginning and built many projects from that magazine in the old days...been many years since they published something worth building for me (I am building right now a highchair from a issue in 1989). But same issue with FWW, it's not what it once was. Everything is moving to "extras on the web" and I read a paper magazine, I don't go on the web to see the extras nor will I pay extra to see something that years ago would have been in the magazine. Its all about yearly subs and extras now, we showed you a picture, now pay extra for details.

The special interest media biz has to be a tough one with a limited audience. Now they have Google and their friends soaking up so many ad bucks. I could see two different audiences, one more utilitarian oriented and more more fine/artistic. I wonder if they'll keep two web sites (woodnet.net & finewoodworking.com)

Little did i expect to find this topic on the front page.

I just got off the phone with a company called Omeda...they seem to think (and perhaps they are, although their internet reputation is that that of a scammer) that they handle renewals for Taunton Products. I had a charge to my CC and chasing it down discovered that i had used my CC to extend FWW three years ago, and Omeda took it upon themselves to now renew my subscription for ONE YEAR for $40, when the three year rate is now $120. I basically feel like i was scammed out of $25, and don't think i ever received any notice that my subscription was going to expire. The charge was put through in October, while my subscription expires in February 2024. Omeda told me i was on "auto renewal" which i doubt, because i NEVER do that. I think they just took my CC, which i used back when i renewed for three years (never should have done that...used my CC.) and took advantage of me with an auto renewal at a very high rate.

Buyer beware, and now i am reading that not only is "customer service" farmed out, but that the magazine has been sold. I am on high alert as to the quality of upcoming publications, and any renewals of my other Taunton products as well.

Not off to a good start, Taunton, if this is the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I worked at Woodworker's Journal when they were purchased by Prime Media. Prime Media bought all the titles owned by PJS Publications, the owner of WJ. It was okay for about a year, then they tried to sell everything that was not highly profitable. They couldn't find a buyer for WJ and finally announced it would be shut down. They offered us an incentive to stay for one last issue. Finally Rockler stepped in and bought the name and subscription list. Historically it has been proven that when an investment conglomerate buys a publishing company, they are there to harvest the high profit titles and kill the rest. It would be a significant move to improve an existing title that has already degraded from its original intent. After being nearly a lifetime subscription person (starting subscribing around issue 8), I have been considering not renewing this time. When FWW started running a simple router table router table design and took 6 pages to do so with basically 3 pictures per page, I knew they were rushing towards the bottom. Let's watch what happens in about a year. One last point, subscribers do not make a profitable magazine. Advertising is what runs a magazine. We can definitely count on more advertising pages until the subscription numbers drop. Advertisers will only spend the big bucks when the subscription numbers are high.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 12-20-2023 at 12:46 PM.

I'm not naive, I was trying to be optimistic. FWW was one of the best but they've been slipping for a while, as have all the others with competition from the web.
    Many people these days seem to be much more likely to watch a free video from someone, anyone without knowing their knowledge base or skill level, rather than read a magazine, which they have to pay for, written by professionals.
    Why bother, three finger Louie can do it, I've seen his videos

While holding out hope, I intellectually know that it's just a matter of time until all of these publications are gone forever. Along with the knowledge they contain. We're left with resin poured river tables and cutting boards as the pinnacle of content.

Well said Edward. sad/true

I was an avid reader Of Fine Woodworking, Fine Homebuilding, and Home Furniture. I've watched Home Furniture disappear (one issue before they were to publish I piece I made), and the other two go down hill for years. For about the past year, I have been getting daily "deals" from Fine Homebuilding, to which I am currently subscribing. I had a long talk with the folks at Taunton Press at this past AWFS in Las Vegas, inquiring as to why they continue to blow up my email. I asked if this was a result of sagging sales and/or sagging subscriptions and they said no. Either they were being less than candid or were in the dark as to Taunton Press' financial situation. I could unsubscribe to the daily come-ons, but every once in a while they actually post a good idea. I currently maintain a subscription to Fine Homebuilding, but as with all subscriptions, I only use American Express. I also never agree to automatic subscription renewals and should one of the magazines I subscribe to try to automatically renew without my permission, as described above, one call to AmEx and problem solved, unlike the hoops you have to go through with Visa or Mastercard when disputing a charge.

My guess is that the annual subscription price for something similar to FWW Unlimited will increase; maybe significantly and it will price itself out of being reasonable for most. It's a great resource but it has a maximum value. If they have owned Popular Woodworking for awhile, it has definitely not improved except maybe if you are exclusively interested in hand tools. Woodsmith really isn't that great anymore. The projects aren't what they used to be. As for the others like Wood, I haven't read them for years since their projects. I actually don't agree that FWW has deteriorated over the years. I just think that many of us who have been woodworkers for many years and have read FWW just find most of the topics "not new".

When Active Media took over Woodsmith, it basically became a Woodpeckers catalogue. I really miss the old Woodsmith, and ShopNotes, which is now an online subscription. Built many projects from each, especially the youth chair referenced above. Recently went back, and build the pocket hole jig from ShopNotes. Gave up on FWW several years back, and this year didn't renew my Wood subscription, which I have had for over 20 years. Can't say as how I miss it.