Thread: Mitre Saw Station dust collection

Mitre Saw Station dust collection

I have a central dust collector. All my tools work well (I could use an over-the-saw collector like a Sawstop has, but that's another issue) except my 12" miter saw. I have it mounted on a dedicated station and have tried different methods to wrangle the dust into a port. The dewalt dust port is useless and having such a small port on 4" trunk doesn't have the suction needed.
    Can anyone that's successfully tackled this problem share your idea that worked? Pictures would be great.
    TIA

I did this, I use it mainly when I have a lot of boards to cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh1QVE_yHf4

What I have and what I have read is best:
    Shop vac to the factory dust port.
    Some kind of containment around the miter saw.
    DC port inside the containment.

I have 6" mains so my containment has a 6" port. Using both DC and shop vac registers pretty good on my Dylos dust meter. The way I did the front of my containment if I cut angles I take the front "doors" off. Held by magnets. But I don't do much but 90's.

IMG_0322.JPGIMG_0323.JPG

I did what norm did, 2 hoses, one on the saw and a 4" Dia hole in the table top right behind saw, both hooked up to my dust collector. Brian
    Brian

I did two hoses also on my Kapex, with a 6" hose and a Rockler dust collector on the enclosure and a Festool vac connected to the dust chute. I would say it does a very good, but not great job. If I could have connected it to my 5HP Oneida dust collector, I would think it would do better. What bothers me is the dust which shoots out front (which is much less now than before, but not zero).

I have a long thread on Sawmill Creek on this from earlier this year:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ight=Miter+Saw

Shroud with front covers installed.jpgShroud without front covers.jpg

It does work better with the two openings for the clamps closed off.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I made this as a prototype in 2012 to see how it worked, fully expecting to have to change the design. With a 3hp DC it gets enough of the dust that we can use it in a finished house and no dust gets on anything. A 6" duct connects to the plenum under the slot that goes all the way across the back. It should be noted though that I never make a push cut. A chop or pull cut throws all the sawdust along the bottom of the cut groove going through that PVC pipe towards the slot along the back of the bottom.

A friend used it once, locking the blade up, and threw sawdust all in the air. He was making a push cut. That's the only time this saw has ever locked up in a cut, and it made me a little angry doing that to my saw.

It works so well that I never had to change anything and am still using it 12 years later.

My rule of thumb on a DC is that anything less than 3hp is wishful thinking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-21-2023 at 8:46 AM.

Years ago, over at Woodnet, a poster (photog) did a collector using the "Big Gulp." Adapted one to my DW 705, and connected it to central DC. Worked better than expected

Blog Entries
    If you are able to cut a board standing up, you have a much better chance of catching the dust than if it is lying down.
    NOW you tell me...