Thread: What did I put a nail into??

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What did I put a nail into??

I went to hang a picture today in my second floor bedroom. The stud detector showed a really wide stud, but I was skeptical because of the width. I found normal looking studs on either side, 16" apart, so this shouldn't be a stud. I checked the other side of the wall, in a bathroom, and came up with the same thing; two 16" apart studs with this extra wide thing in between. It runs the whole height of the wall and isn't near the shower and there are no heating vents near it. I ran a metal detector over it with no results, though it did find the screws in the nearby studs. I ran a device that is supposed to find electrical wires; it found them running up the neighboring stud, but nothing on it. I looked on the first floor and there is nothing down there; no chimney, water heater vent, or anything else.
    I decided to avoid it and put a nail in to the side of it.
    Then I had a senior moment and proceeded to put the nail into it. Argh. Well, the nail wouldn't go in much past the drywall. Whatever it is, it is hard.

What could it be? (I am so hoping that trying to put a nail in didn't damage anything!)
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 12-20-2023 at 5:03 PM.