Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: A Martin T23 for me.

Every head has some amount of clearance so even if you had zero shaft run out you might not have a head totally centered

Blog Entries
    I'm checking on the shaft directly. It runs nice and smoothly and the bearings are replacements for the originals. I bought new bearings with the expectation of replacing them but I don't see a point to doing so just yet.

The original shaft in the machine contributed about .001 to the runout, so I'm suspecting the bore might not be absolutely perfect. Something causing .0005" or so of it.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Out of curiosity, where do you source the pro lock spindles your ordered for your machine?

Blog Entries
    John I ordered it directly from Pro Lock in Germany. It was a tad pricey but a very well made product.

Brian, thanks for answering my dumb question! Google searches were not bringing up their website, so I had to be persistent to finally find it. I’ve been curious about their spindles because I would love to have a router spindle made for my T20. I don’t think it will be possible due to how the spindles are fixed to the machine through the length of the spindle with a long hex wrench on T20/26’ though.

John, Pro Lock made a router spindle for my T23. Martin should also have them available for the T20 to fit the Dorn Fix shaft.
    might be less money through ProLock.

Joe, thanks for the tip! I’ll reach out on both ends to see what’s available, and brace myself for sticker shock.

Not something I use a lot but handy for some special setups.
    IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1983.jpg

I don’t think it’s something I would use a whole lot either Joe, but I have a collection of router bits that occasionally are just what is needed. Right now I have a router table on casters that I have in the corner and occasionally roll it out when needed. I would love a single spindle for my shaper to replace an entire router table that sees seldom use. Thanks again to you both, Joe and Brian, and sorry to temporarily derail your T23 rebuild thread, Brian!

Blog Entries
    John, I bought these on Joe’s recommendation. Very happy with them. I’m awaiting the router spindle which will arrive in April. I figure it will come in handy at some point. I have some router cutters which are actually a little overkill for the router and the collet system in the ProLock is a much stronger system than a standard router collet. They use a 462E collet.

Working my way through various aspects of the VFD. The push button speed change didn’t work out so I’m swapping the ‘high’ switch for a rotary switch. I’ve decided to have three speed settings which will allow me to have 3000/4500 in low (bottom and top pulley respectively), 5250/7500 at 90hz and 6000/9000 at 120hz.

I haven’t install and wire the switch. Then I have to wire up that relay for the oil pump. After which I’m having Tom make a new legend plate for the switch panel.

The lights will designate speeds, and the lower right light will designate that the machine is armed. It’s a little surprising to me that the machine didn’t have a light indicating that the main was turned on originally. I have that as a universal on every machine now. Good to have a little bit of idiot proofing when one spends all day with hearing protection on.

IMG_1957.jpg

Im also working through making and adding some air clamps for the tenoning work.

IMG_1944.jpg

Still working on the overhead clamp. I goofed on the part spec trying to simplify things and ended up needing to revisit my design. The side clamp is great, I spun around the lever arm after this and I’ve redone the hoses.

I put a Festo filter/regulator/oiler inside the machine. Found a fitting which looks factory for the 8mm inlet

IMG_1943.jpg

And two quick disconnect fittings for the front of the machine to quickly tap into for clamps.

IMG_1938.jpg

Hope your quiet evenings by the fire with the German are going well! Has she made you assign her as the beneficiary on your life insurance policy yet? But fear not, I'm sure that work visa will come through any day now and you can put her to work.

Blog Entries
    Takes quite a few shiny things to keep her happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Takes quite a few shiny things to keep her happy.
    Doesn't hurt that you like the same shiny things.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...