Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Martin T23 for me.

Blog Entries

A Martin T23 for me.

Been a while, been collecting some old 'arn. Joe and Patrick posted up their absolutely beautiful restorations/modifications of their respective T23's. I was on the hunt for a Baurele shaper at auction that I missed (it went to the moon in terms of pricing) and so I was hunting around and found this T23.

Previous owner is a lifelong woodworker, loves old tools and had enough machines that he simply parked this one in the corner and didn't bother with it. I suspect some of the intricacies of this machine caused enough of a headache that he didn't want to run it. The big one being the same issue Patrick ran into, which was to deal with the slow drip oil pump for the bearings.

IMG_1655.jpg

It has some sort of shop made makeshift oil pump and the spindle shows .002" runout so clearly the oil pump didn't serve it that well.

I got it delivered and started to dig in. I had little intention of doing anything more than cleaning up a few things and painting a few parts. It took hours to clean the sawdust, grease and old oil out of the machine to get it working smoothly through the motions. Surprising that even a clean looking machine was loaded to the gills with nasty grime.

I could tell at this point that it was repainted by a prior seller at some point in its life, with exception to the silver plates on the front. I did a bit of touch up to the lettering and cleaned, polished the aluminum tags around the wheel along with cleaning painting the wheel. In addition I stripped and gun-blued the handles for the hood. All the beat up old kipp levers hit the trash and we replaced by steel handles (elesa makes these in germany) generally I like the steel handles better and I feel they match style.

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

And the lettering

IMG_1744.jpg

The feeder was absolutely packed to the gills with wood filled grease and gear oil that turned into sludge. I cleaned it out and then painted it up. Paint job needs some de-turding after it hardens up to remove the little dusts that I can't escape.
    72437904682__DC92752F-C0DE-480A-9D7D-C07A77D9BDC8.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

Brought a sliding table in from Germany, it's made by Panhans. The bearings were dead so I replaced them so far and have begun painting to match the grey. I originally wanted to do light green hammer tone but it's become impossible to buy. Also could have left it alone but I wanted the top gear to match style. Replaced the beat up handles and repaired the beat up hardware.

IMG_1750.jpg

New Spindle bearings arrived and working out an oil pump solution. It's been an uphill battle since I am trying to avoid having air/oil and would like an electric pump. I bought a Bijur surefire and I'm planning the lines and valves to get 'er going.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Glad to see you posting again! This will be a fun follow.

Poor work bench nice machine.
    Aj

I'm mildly surprised you're not going to do a complete tear down...just for the fun of it! LOL

Seriously, nice machine find and that's definitely a "stout" piece of gear. Where is it going to live...upstairs in the machinery "room" with the rest of the big machines? I suspect it's not a good candidate to get to the lower level.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Brian, ditto on the comment about it being good to see you posting, especially i do not do Facebook, Tiktok, Instagram or other social media. Hope life is treating you well. Best, Patrick (one without a Martin, sadly)

Blog Entries
    Thanks, gents! Been pretty busy in recent years but this will be a fun one!

Looking forward to watching this unfold. I love the older cast iron Martin’s!

Nice Brian! I was looking for one of those when I ran across my double spindle Unitronix. Love the Uni, but still. You going to leave it green or paint it Blue like Joe?

What does one of those weigh Brian? My Uni weighs 3400#, so my tractor won't pick it up, had to have the local lumber yard come out and set it in the shop.

Blog Entries
    That is a beauty! My wife's people from way back when are Martin's. I am learning that they have a long history with mills and milling.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Thanks, gents! Maurice, thats a neat bit of history. Germany seems to have a pretty long history of very serious machine work. It’s very present in how they solve engineering problems in this early machines. The solutions are almost always very heavy and neatly machined. I really enjoy seeing how they go about it.

Wow, Larry, 3400 is pretty hefty!

This one is 1900 without the feeder or sliding table. I’m going to leave the machine green, the green is in pretty good shape although whoever did it didn’t bother with prep work much.

The accessories are going to be grey, I think the two colors should coordinate fairly well.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 12-21-2023 at 8:57 PM.

What is the problem with the oiler. Is it a total loss system or does extra flow back to the reservior? I assume something like three drops per minute or so. Use constant flow metering units not cyclic units.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-21-2023 at 9:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    A bit about the NH Martin's.

Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    What is the problem with the oiler. Is it a total loss system or does extra flow back to the reservior? I assume something like three drops per minute or so. Use constant flow metering units not cyclic units.
    Bill D
    It returns to the reservoir. Apparently it’s been fairly common for the original oilers to die, and so this one was replaced with something very homemade looking that includes a switch typically found on a lamp.

I plan to plumb the bijur pump in where the original was behind the lower door.

Got the sliding table mostly back together, it needs some touch up after the first coat cures to get some of the light spots. Polished and blues the shafts.

Odds and ends left to deal with on this and the feeder. Waiting on rollers from western also.

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1764.jpgIMG_1764.jpg

Blog Entries
    Neat bit of history, Maurice. Amazing we can know these small details about folks lived so long ago.