Thread: Epilog or Trotec for new laser

Epilog or Trotec for new laser

First, I would like to say thanks for allowing me to join this page.

I have been reading quite a lot here in my research of a new Laser Engraver. This will be a new area for my business. I currently run a 54" wide format HP latex printer as well as an multi head embroidery machine. I would like to add plaques and custom engraved items for current and new customers. I am currently looking at the Epilog Fusion Edge 24x24 - 60w and Trotec Speedy 300 or 360 80w. I realize the wattage makes a difference but keep in mind this will be my first laser. The price on the Fusion Edge 24 is quite a difference from the Trotec 300 NEW (22%) and obviously more for the 360 DEMO (30%). Obviously to me it would make sense to save the money up front. But I would really like to get some feedback from people that have been in the business and using these brands for years.

I have been on the phone with both companies and one pushes their service and being able to get you parts overnight versus the other being in a different country. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad. LOL

That last comment is not quite valid. Trotec has parts in the US and their service exceeds anything I've seen from competitors in my 27 years in the business.

I have had experience with Epilog and ULS.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    That last comment is not quite valid. Trotec has parts in the US and their service exceeds anything I've seen from competitors in my 27 years in the business.

I have had experience with Epilog and ULS.
    So what is your opinion on which laser to start with? I have a sneaky feeling I may know your answer based on your signature but would like to hear your thoughts.

Mike likely won't agree with me here, as he had a bad experience, but--- For one, consider Gravograph-- For another, consider starting out with a used machine; if things don't go as planned and you decide to bail, you'll likely be able to sell the machine for MUCH closer to what you paid for it vs a new machine. And if things DO go as planned, THEN consider a new machine as your second unit. But you may find yourself getting a USED 2nd machine! -I can attest to this... I've been in this business full time for 3 months shy of 50 years, note the machines in my signature-- Of the 11 cutter-tool machines, ALL of them are New Hermes/Gravograph machines, only FOUR of them I bought new; C02 lasers, I've actually owned 5, my first one I sold to my BIL years ago, still works fine, only 2 of them I bought new, and one of THEM is my huge 1300x900 'Dumpster' (came in a 1 cubic yard crate!) Chinese glass-tube laser, now 13 years old (and still works like new); the vinyl cutter is a used Gravograph machine... My four fiber lasers, all were new, but they're Chinese-built, dirt cheap compared 'good' C02 lasers- AND the money they make me!

My cutter tool machines, the newest one is 12 years old, oldest is 41 years old, 3 of them are 1989 machines-- I've spent maybe $750 in wear items, but $0 in repairs, and they work just fine. My IS7000 is a workhorse, was 8 years old when I got it I think, I've had it like 12 years, it's a friggin workhorse beast, I use it almost daily as a milling machine, to build-from-scratch ski-lift operator panels, just that machine (and the fiber laser that engraves the panels) grosses $80k per year, and other than a set of spindle bearings, I haven't spent a dime on it since I bought it...
    My LS900 laser (Gravograph) got new in 2003, I recently had the 40w Synrad tube recharged, $600, and awhile back I tried to upgrade the firmware with newer version that wasn't designed for it and fubar'd the controller, Gravograph fixed it for $325..
    My LS100 laser (Gravograph) I got used from my Gravo dealer, it's a 2006 I think, it had a fresh recharged 30w Coherent tube, I've had it for like 12 years, zero issues-
    My GCC-Explorer aka "Pinnacle" laser, I bought used from a guy here on the Creek in 2013, built in Taiwan, 30w Synrad tube, 32x20 work area, servo motors, 2003 model, still on the original never-recharged tube, works like new still, I use it several times a week--
    --ahem-- all this: Knock On My Head! --

Maybe I'm just lucky, but New Hermes/Gravograph and all my used machines have served me very well over the years!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I am also a Trotec fan, my Speedy 300 (80 watt) has been a serious workhorse for many years. Trotec's tech support has also been outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cook 99 View Post
    First, I would like to say thanks for allowing me to join this page.

I have been reading quite a lot here in my research of a new Laser Engraver. This will be a new area for my business. I currently run a 54" wide format HP latex printer as well as an multi head embroidery machine. I would like to add plaques and custom engraved items for current and new customers. I am currently looking at the Epilog Fusion Edge 24x24 - 60w and Trotec Speedy 300 or 360 80w. I realize the wattage makes a difference but keep in mind this will be my first laser. The price on the Fusion Edge 24 is quite a difference from the Trotec 300 NEW (22%) and obviously more for the 360 DEMO (30%). Obviously to me it would make sense to save the money up front. But I would really like to get some feedback from people that have been in the business and using these brands for years.

I have been on the phone with both companies and one pushes their service and being able to get you parts overnight versus the other being in a different country. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad. LOL
    I'll second one of Kev's recommendations, and do some digging around and see what you can find used. I've got a Fusion Pro 48 120 Watt that I picked up used a couple years back for a screaming deal. There are a TON of used lasers around if you look in the right places. The whole GlowForge craze has let to a lot of people picking up lasers figuring they can easily turn it into a six figure business overnight. And, 6 months later they figure out that you have to actually be somewhat computer proficient, know design, etc. etc. etc. and dump machines with very low hours on them. Or, in the case of mine, a divorce forced sale. They are out there if you have a bit of patience and do some digging. And, you can save quite a bit of money over new for good machines.

I'll add that I came from a Chinese glass tube machine to my Epilog. I've been very happy with my purchase of that machine. It's a beast of a machine and does everything I've thrown at it so far.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Steve,

I have been lookin at used and actually had a Trotec Speedy 300 2021 with 4 hours on it that I was looking to buy. But I can get the guy to respond after I asked him for the serial number. Prior to that he was back and forth answering my questions, but seems to have ghosted me. I have also looked at a few used Epilog Fusions but they are asking a few thousand less than a new laser that comes with a two year warranty. I would love to buy a used one that is only a year or two old depending the price of course. Like you said many people think they run all by themselves and make you money. LOL If i found a used one I would spend the money to buy a tester to make sure the laser power is where it should be and not failing.

I have been in business for 15+ years doing wide format printing (HP 315 54"), embroidery (SWF 1502), vinyl lettering and screen printed shirts. I think adding a laser would be a great addition to my current business.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cook 99 View Post
    Steve,

I have been lookin at used and actually had a Trotec Speedy 300 2021 with 4 hours on it that I was looking to buy. But I can get the guy to respond after I asked him for the serial number. Prior to that he was back and forth answering my questions, but seems to have ghosted me. I have also looked at a few used Epilog Fusions but they are asking a few thousand less than a new laser that comes with a two year warranty. I would love to buy a used one that is only a year or two old depending the price of course. Like you said many people think they run all by themselves and make you money. LOL If i found a used one I would spend the money to buy a tester to make sure the laser power is where it should be and not failing.

I have been in business for 15+ years doing wide format printing (HP 315 54"), embroidery (SWF 1502), vinyl lettering and screen printed shirts. I think adding a laser would be a great addition to my current business.
    Going dark after asking for a serial would be a red flag for sure though. Have you checked eBay? There's numerous Fusion Pro machines up there at the moment. Not sure how close any of them would be to you, but might warrant a look. Good luck in your search and Happy Holidays.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer