Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type of plastic for furniture washer/gasket.

Type of plastic for furniture washer/gasket.

Hello everybody new here, nice to be here!

Well I have a situation my customer has an old swivel kitchen chair that has one chair that has a washer that worn down and now the chair where it connects together under the seat is hitting metal on metal, they're used to be a brown washer in between the seat and the swivel legs.

Anyhow I was just wondering if anybody would suggest a type of plastic to get so I can cut it and install it for her because I cannot find a part for it, someone suggested delrin with this be suitable or do you recommend something else? Thank you very much!

Welcome Andrew,
    What are the dimensions of the desired washer. Do you happen to have pictures of the other chairs still functioning washer?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Doesn't sound like a very demanding application. Delrin would likely work - it's pretty tough stuff.
    I'd just get a plastic cutting board and make a washer from the material as a quick first attempt.

Bill, that could possibly work, but cutting boards are typically HDPE. It may actually be a fine choice over Delrin in this case as the thin plastic cutting boards readily available and pretty inexpensive.

2-1/8 round by 1/4" thick. Brown plastic is on the other chairs.

Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    Welcome Andrew,
    What are the dimensions of the desired washer. Do you happen to have pictures of the other chairs still functioning washer?
    Hi Dan thanks for the reply and the other replies!

I'm going back to remeasure it again to make sure but it is going to be about 2 1/8" round and 3/16 of an inch thick. Plastic. Brown plastic bushing is on the other chairs that are still good.

I do have pictures but I am not sure how to post them.

I was thinking of getting the delrin or other material and sandwiching it between two pieces of plywood and then cutting it with a hole saw with maybe some lubricant...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Law View Post
    Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    Welcome Andrew,
    Hi Dan thanks for the reply and the other replies!

I'm going back to remeasure it again to make sure but it is going to be about 2 1/8" round and 3/16 of an inch thick. Plastic. Brown plastic bushing is on the other chairs that are still good.

I was thinking of getting the delrin or other material and sandwiching it between two pieces of plywood and then cutting it with a hole saw with maybe some lubricant...
    No lubricant required, but sandwiching between plywood is a goo option to keep the holes a bit more consistent. Bill's suggestion of a cutting board might just be the ticket. A trip to Walmart might net you a board of suitable thickness. If not, McMaster Carr or Tap Plastics or even Amazon will cary sheets of Delrin or HDPE, either will be fine for your use I think. Another suitable alternative is UHMW.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Andrew and welcome to the Creek.

Above the area where messages are composed are some icons. Starting from the right is one that looks like a cartoon text bubble. That is how copied text is quoted like the words from a previous post of yours.

The third one from the right looks like a picture of a tree (maybe). Click on that and it will allow you to select an image from your computer or a web image storage site to post.

As a non-contributing member I believe you can post images but will not be able to view them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think the cutting board idea is a good one since they are cheap and readily available without buying a large sheet. I don't know what the minimum size of plastic you can buy from a plastics supplier compared to a plastic cutting board. One question though, you say the existing washer is brown, is the washer highly visible and will a white one made from a cutting board be a visual issue? I'm guessing not because it is so thin but something to consider.

By the way, if it was me, I'd make new washers for all the chairs. If they are old enough for one to fail, others will be failing soon. Not sure what your "Washers" ID hole size is, but I would use a forstner bit for that if you have one. I'm assuming you have a drill press when I recommend this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I think the cutting board idea is a good one since they are cheap and readily available without buying a large sheet. I don't know what the minimum size of plastic you can buy from a plastics supplier compared to a plastic cutting board. One question though, you say the existing washer is brown, is the washer highly visible and will a white one made from a cutting board be a visual issue? I'm guessing not because it is so thin but something to consider.
    Doug, most plastic houses will cut to whatever size you want, no need to buy a full sheet. Sometimes they have "drops" from previous custom cuttings they will sell very reasonably. If the OP has a local plastics wholesaler like Tap or Piedmont it would be worth a phone call (or better yet an in person visit) if the cutting board does not work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Above the area where messages are composed are some icons. Starting from the right is one that looks like a cartoon text bubble. That is how copied text is quoted like the words from a previous post of yours.

The third one from the right looks like a picture of a tree (maybe). Click on that and it will allow you to select an image from your computer or a web image storage site to post.

As a non-contributing member I believe you can post images but will not be able to view them.

jtk
    Thanks for the help 👍 I will check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

jtk
    I see two bubble signs and the one to the right has a plus next to it..

Hi Doug, no they won't be visible I don't think, but The cutting board idea is something I might try, I didn't get it at first but it finally sunk in LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    By the way, if it was me, I'd make new washers for all the chairs. If they are old enough for one to fail, others will be failing soon. Not sure what your "Washers" ID hole size is, but I would use a forstner bit for that if you have one. I'm assuming you have a drill press when I recommend this.
    ID is about 1 inch... I picked up some nice bits on sale from Menards that they were discontinuing for a good price I think they're Forstner bits...