Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Type of plastic for furniture washer/gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    By the way, if it was me, I'd make new washers for all the chairs. If they are old enough for one to fail, others will be failing soon. Not sure what your "Washers" ID hole size is, but I would use a forstner bit for that if you have one. I'm assuming you have a drill press when I recommend this.
    No drill press... But friends got one...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    Doug, most plastic houses will cut to whatever size you want, no need to buy a full sheet. Sometimes they have "drops" from previous custom cuttings they will sell very reasonably. If the OP has a local plastics wholesaler like Tap or Piedmont it would be worth a phone call (or better yet an in person visit) if the cutting board does not work out.
    True Dan, but they likely have minimums ( don't see them cutting a 3" x 3" corner out of a 4' x 8' sheet) and sometimes cutting charges. The one advantage to buying from a plastics supplier is you can likely get the thickness you need and just deal with cutting the rings. Cutting boards, while easy to cut to the required thickness, are also messy to cut. All in, I'd go the cutting board route and as you suggested replace the washers on all the chairs.

This would work?

Mainstays Poly 8.5" x 11" Cutting Board

On Walmarts website..

Looks like that one is 3/8" thick. Go to the store and look at what they have or go to Amazon and carefully read the description. To be honest 3/16" is a bit of an uncommon thickness for a cutting board. But you might get lucky or find that you can use a different thickness material in you use case.
    Last edited by Dan Barber; 12-21-2023 at 5:31 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Easy, but messy to resaw to required thickness, but the price is right.

How big of a hurry are you in? I have a big chunk of Delrin I could slice some off of.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    How big of a hurry are you in? I have a big chunk of Delrin I could slice some off of.
    Thanks for everybody's replies very informative!
    Well appreciate the offer but I'm thinking about doing The cutting board thing I think I can find some thinner ones and if I have to stack them, or put a thicker bushing in there?

She has been waiting for a couple weeks but I have been keeping her updated she knows I've been busy and it's a new project for me to find these bushings...

If this other fails maybe I'll take you up on the offer and I appreciate it, where are you located by the way? I'm in a suburb of Chicago..

NC. I could mail it. I also have some oil filled nylon. Both were given to me, so not like it would cost me anything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Law View Post
    I see two bubble signs and the one to the right has a plus next to it..
    Here is the icon you want to click to post a photo:icons.png

Just so you know if you make a post and then want to change something in it you can edit your own posts for up to 24 hours after you post it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I don't think you can post (or see) pictures or use the message system unless you are a contributor, $6/yr is all it takes.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-23-2023 at 3:12 PM. Reason: corrected cost/yr

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Here is the icon you want to click to post a photo:icons.png

Just so you know if you make a post and then want to change something in it you can edit your own posts for up to 24 hours after you post it.
    I don't think I have permission to post a picture yet..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    NC. I could mail it. I also have some oil filled nylon. Both were given to me, so not like it would cost me anything.
    Sure no problem, at least I can check them out.. How should I get you my address? Thanks I appreciate it..👍

PM me your address or find my email in my website by clicking on my user name. Let me know exact thickness you want. ID and OD too. I may have the right bits for both. A picture of the mating piece would be good too.

Hey Tom

Thanks again fort the offer! But I took the idea of the cutting board, and so far so good, so I don't need the material anymore, hope she doesn't call me in 6 months and say it failed though...