Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trying CS method on my table top

Trying CS method on my table top

https://youtu.be/zHvDd8wJVoY?si=waUSFkzJWhLZ7--7

now that it’s all glue up, I’m using the method Schwarz talks about in the hand plane essential book/Woodwright Shop episode (at least as far as I remember it). I did use a scrub on some higher lips between boards I glued up (size differences plus some bow). Now I’m working down with a foreplane (or a #4 with an 8” radius blade in my case)*.
    IMG_0883.jpgIMG_4432.jpgIMG_0881.jpg

Looking good so far. Looks like a big table.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    Looking good so far. Looks like a big table.
    84” by 36 5/8”

I agree with Eric, looking good Tony.

Lotta hard work there. Looking good Tony.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

With the amount of calories burned doing that by hand you are now entitled to an extra ration of Christmas cookies and candies. Looking good Tony.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

https://youtube.com/shorts/TtA0xqEPF...54IcU2f6rbuwos

started catty corner with long planes…
    IMG_4480.jpg

You would use a lot less calories if you would avoid rough planing the low spots. Planing the low spots cross grain not only makes them lower, it leaves a torn surface that has to be made even lower in order to eliminate the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    You would use a lot less calories if you would avoid rough planing the low spots. Planing the low spots cross grain not only makes them lower, it leaves a torn surface that has to be made even lower in order to eliminate the damage.
    I’m trying to stop when I get an even shaving. Please elaborate on what you mean.

Don't think about even shavings. Just take off the high spots. Lay something across it so you can see where the high and low spots are. If you take anything off of the low spots you have to bring the whole thing down to that new lowest level.

Here's a video I made some years back flattening shutter panels. They didn't need to be as flat as a piece of furniture. Going on an 1850 museum house, it was better that they weren't perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SED7B65cppM
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-22-2023 at 1:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I’m trying to stop when I get an even shaving. Please elaborate on what you mean.
    A plane does not automatically flatten a board. You have to find the high spots and plane them and find the low spots and avoid them. For example if a panel has two low corners and you plane diagonally from low to low, you can take off a continuous shaving and lower the very places that are already too low.

Planing the entire surface, low spots and all, wastes time and energy, and it wastes material too, because it limits even more how much thickness you are left with after truing a board.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    A plane does not automatically flatten a board. You have to find the high spots and plane them and find the low spots and avoid them. For example if a panel has two low corners and you plane diagonally from low to low, you can take off a continuous shaving and lower the very places that are already too low.

Planing the entire surface, low spots and all, wastes time and energy, and it wastes material too, because it limits even more how much thickness you are left with after truing a board.
    But I’m using the length of the #7 to bridge the high spots so it’s not taking a full shaving until I’ve knocked those down. And I’m not really even getting quite to the point of a full shaving when I stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    But I’m using the length of the #7 to bridge the high spots so it’s not taking a full shaving until I’ve knocked those down. And I’m not really even getting quite to the point of a full shaving when I stop.
    At the ends of the panel you are not "bridging" anything. The same is true of the edges if are planing diagonally or cross grain.

If you can't bring yourself to use straight edges and winding sticks to ascertain the high spots, your progress will be slow.

Tony,

It's looking good. Nice lumber too. I can't tell the type of lumber from the photos, what is the lumber you are using?

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Tony,

It's looking good. Nice lumber too. I can't tell the type of lumber from the photos, what is the lumber you are using?

Stew
    It’s walnut