Thread: Would like to talk to operators of Powermatic PM15 1120003 planer moulder

Would like to talk to operators of Powermatic PM15 1120003 planer moulder

I picked up the machine about 10 years ago, and now ready to make some moulding. I've discovered the profile I installed seems to be too large for the infeed roller. In other words, the profile starts to cut before the infeed roller touches the board. Am I setting this up properly?

This is the same as the Belsaw moulder. The pattern knife should be completely bottomed in the head. On some of the deeper patterns, I have had to take a pretty large first bite. I have also pre shaped some of the blanks on the table saw to reduce the amount the moulder has to remove. Hopefully this helps.

Cheers
    Sean

How can the knife touch the wood before the roller, and not hit the roller?

Richard, the knives ( like the one on the left ) are removed and replaced with weights and a single molding knife (the molding knife is on the right in the pic). The molding knife can extend below the level of the drive rollers.

. IMG_3301.jpg
    Last edited by sean meltvedt; 12-22-2023 at 1:45 AM.

adjust the depth of cut so that one pass cuts it completely. Do not try to mold in multiple passes.
    Ron

have a modified woodmaster new shaft and corg head. I joint off the back side fair bit more to balance tension release from the moulded side. Then edge and rip to width and same as Ron do the final in one pass. It has a dial in feed control and thats a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    adjust the depth of cut so that one pass cuts it completely. Do not try to mold in multiple passes.
    Ron
    I have a Williams and Hussey. I also do some moldings in one pass so I don't grind up the rubber feed roller. I don't like removing that much wood in some profiles, so send the stock through the table saw with a dado head to remove the bulk of the wood.

Ron, could you elaborate because I intended to make multiple passes

I have a Woodmaster 812 planer, 5hp, variable speed feed, bought it in 1986. I made 3 1/2" wide base molding from popular lumber 3 3/4" wide. I used a piece of plywood the width of the bed with two 3/4 boards fastened to guide the wood. I trimmed all of the doors, windows, base, etc. for a 1400sq ft 1 1/2 story house. Adjust the knife to cut in the plywood 1/16" of an inch to clean cut the edges. My cousin used a RBI 12" with same basic cutter except he left approx. uncut on the edge and removed it with a router to get a thicker molding. There is a dent in the top of my machine where the planer caught a knot just right and a chunk went flying. Hade to empty the dust collector often. Set it up and go for it as long as you have enough power, use it.
    When setting up you set the knife to not cut the wood base, turn on the machine and then slowly raise the bed until the cutter is cutting in the bed, back off one turn.
    Ron