Thread: Need Help Troubleshooting a (1999 ULS M30 / M-300) Laser not working

Need Help Troubleshooting a (1999 ULS M30 / M-300) Laser not working

Hi All,

I recently bought a 2nd hand 1999 Universal Laser System (ULS) M-30 out of Craigslist here in Seattle Wa. I've enjoyed reading many of the threads here. They have got me to this point. Now I need some help. Thanks in advance :-)

Now what is happening: I send the file to the M30 laser from Inscape. I see the file on the Laser’s Display. I press “Start”. It runs as if the laser is working but it is not.

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions on what I can try with my Laser to get it working?

Note: If you would like a photo or video just let me know :-)

Notes:

• The label on the back of the Laser says it is a “M30 Made in 1999”. But the Laser Display says it is a M-300. I’m using the “M-300” printer. I have it set to the default printer. Not the “M30Laser” Printer. Both are available to choose from.
    • I am using a Lenovo Laptop running Windows 10 Home 64bit
    • Using Inkscape v1.3.2
    • ULS Windows Driver version: (C) ULS 2015-05-20 XP/Vista/7/8 V1.10 N
      • Found in the inscape -> Print Window -> Preferences

• From the ULS M30 Laser’s Display:
      • Preferences -> About
        • UNIVERSAL LASER SYS
        • COPYRIGHT ULS 2001
        • M-300 AF
        • VERSION V23-21-14-09

Did you see the machine working before you took possession? Has it ever worked since you set it up?

Since it runs as if it is working, but the laser itself isn't working, the likely suspects are:
    -the tube itself (might have "died")
    -the tube's power supply (might not be outputting the correct voltage/current anymore, either because the supply has stopped working or the drive signal to the supply isn't working), and
    -cabinet door interlocks (a door might not be fully closed or an interlock switch isn't working and is stuck "open", thus preventing the laser from actually firing).

Hi Glen,

Thanks for your reply. My answers are in line and in blue.

• Did you see the machine working before you took possession?
      • The short answer is "no"
        • The seller did not have it set up.
        • I got it without seeing it powered on or running.
        • The seller said that he had it serviced by someone local over a year ago here in Seattle.
        • He had the old computer panel part that was replaced at his shop. I forgot to get it from him.
        • He paid about $1K for the serves call + parts. He said it was working then.
        • He said "If it does not run at my shop. I do not have to pay him for it and for me to take it to be Recycled."
        • Note: I like to work on things like this so, I took this change on. Wish me luck! :-)

• Has it ever worked since you set it up?
      • Nope, the laser has not fired so far. I have tried to reboot both the laptop and M30 Laser several time as recommended in a post here. Did not fix it.

Since it runs as if it is working, but the laser itself isn't working, the likely suspects are:
    • The tube itself (might have "died")
      • I have not found any detailed info in how to identify this. Do you know of any documents, wire diagrams or links I can do here in my home shop?

• The tube's power supply (might not be outputting the correct voltage/current anymore, either because the supply has stopped working or the drive signal to the supply isn't working)
      • Any links to wire diagrams?

• The cabinet door interlocks (a door might not be fully closed or an interlock switch isn't working and is stuck "open", thus preventing the laser from actually firing)
      • I saw this in another post here. I will look into this when I'm in the shop next. The holiday have gotten in the way of working on the M30 laser.

Update: (I for got to add this to the post)
    • I found the Manual-M-Class1 PDF and the ULS TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE PDF on line. Not much help in this regards.
    • In the Manual-M-Class1 it does talk about the “PRINT TEST”.

On the ULS-M30’s Display Panel -> Preferences -> Diagnostics (What comes up is...)

1. Alignment Mode
    2. Memory Test
    3. (there's nothing here in the display) I do not know why could it be a something component not working? There for it dose not show up in the menu?)
    4. Motor Status

Screenshot_20231227_022025_Photos.jpg

From the Manual-M-Class1 PDF

• Page 5-20 "System Operation" section

PRINT TEST Menu
    There is a built in test file in the menu system. To access this file, use the up and down arrow buttons to position the cursor on the “PRINT TEST” menu item and press the “SELECT” button. The display will get replaced with the text “001) MEMORY EMPTY”. After a few seconds a test file name will pop up in the display. Place a piece of scrap material in the upper left hand corner, we recommend anodized aluminum, focus on the material, turn on the exhaust system, and press the “START” button. A test pattern will now engrave into the material that can help diagnose if there are any laser or mechanical problems with the system.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jesse Skellington; 12-27-2023 at 5:24 AM.

A couple thoughts,

Being a 1999 tube it very well might need to be recharged.

Could your power setting in the software be too low, maybe the laser is firing but the power is not high enough.

Out if focus?
    TROTEC Laser, Roland SP300,SAWGRASS SG1000 Sublimation Printer, Q1 Mod New Hermes Vanguard 3400 Engraver, Daige Laminator, Next Wave Shark HD510 CNC

Whenever I've had a tube/power issue, including my old ULS 1998 model the machine worked but the engraving or cutting was so weak it was nearly invisible.

I would call tech support for their suggestions; particularly whether you can use that version of Windows.
    Check your printer port connection.
    Replace the pc to laser cable.
    Confirm the interlocks are working.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I'm thinking your machine is a twin the old New Hermes "Optima" laser I used to have, it was a re-branded Universal, and your display is exactly the same as it was--

Concur on the magnetic interlocks maybe being the problem.. I used to tape round magnets to the frame opposite the sensors so I could run the thing with the door open--

Another thing it MIGHT be, could be the red LED pointer-light is "on" but not working-? Do you know if it works? I don't remember how it turned on, been a long time -
    If not, experiment with that too, if it does work, then that won't be the problem, if it doesn't, maybe try cycling the "on" button/switch...
    --edit, just found a pic of the old thing, which is also a 1999 machine-- FWIW, best I recollect, the magnetic interlocks are somewhere just below the lower left/right corners of the cover...

Optima.jpg
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 01-27-2024 at 9:39 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle