Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reinforcing miter corners

Reinforcing miter corners

Building a corner computer desk. Pull out tray for the keyboard is @ 28 x 21 deep with 5/8" sides and undermount guides. I can't fit a domino mortise/tenon through the inside corner of the joint just not enough meat there. Without building another jig....I can only think of adding brads on both sides of each corner so they would be at 90 degrees to each other. No real load on this, so I'm not sure I even need this. Height of the side is 1-1/2.

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

Finger joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Finger joint.
    Something like that, but no jig to hold the work at 45 on the table saw, i'm being lazy this morning. Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Using mini biscuits in miters is helpful to me in similar situations.

IMG_1785.jpg
    Before I had the little Ryobi I used the router table and a big holding block cut at a 45. Tiny biscuits can be made from 1/8 inch plywood from the craft store.

Screen Shot 2023-12-23 at 9.01.48 AM.png
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-23-2023 at 10:10 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

If it’s at the back of the drawer where no one will see it, you could use a small corner block. But that’s pretty much a last resort, half-### solution. I’d try to find a better way.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

A 4mm domino is too big? Seems like a small miter if so. Without pictures splines would be my first choice then.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    A 4mm domino is too big? Seems like a small miter if so. Without pictures splines would be my first choice then.
    5mm is smallest bit and tenon I have in my shop and is too big. thanks brian
    Last edited by Brian Runau; 12-23-2023 at 11:20 AM.
    Brian

I found a sled hidden in a corner that I made from a previous project. I'll figure out a way to hold the frame at 45 and give it a couple passes over the table saw on each corner and add a couple splines for strength. thanks brian
    Brian

Add a vertical spline in the joint. All you have to do is place the drawer part flat on the table saw and cut a slot perpendicular to the mitered edge.
    Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 11.09.38 AM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    5mm is smallest bit and tenon I have in my shop and is too big. thanks brian
    So go buy a 4mm bit and set of dominos? I mean aren’t we all looking for the next new tool for the next new job?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Add a vertical spline in the joint. All you have to do is place the drawer part flat on the table saw and cut a slot perpendicular to the mitered edge.
    Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 11.09.38 AM.jpg
    ^^ This is an excellent and strong solution that's easy to do, too
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Several options. Vertical splines like Richard showed, or horizontal slip splines, or simple dowels from the outside, like this, which are easy to do and look good in some situations.

John

did 175 small boxes past and they were splined corners. Sides were only 1/2" as per past shop that built them. Old guys i knew used splines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ^^ This is an excellent and strong solution that's easy to do, too
    Agreed. I mentioned this as well. Could even use exposed if strength isnt absolutely critical

Blog Entries
    A couple of things I have learned about miter joints. When you glue them place glue on both halves of the joint. To make the joint stronger you can add a spline all across the log side of the joint between the two faces as you glue it up. Or, you can make a box spline jig like you would use for putting splines in the corners of a box.box

If you look closely at the joints on this glass topped table I made 15 years ago you can see the splines in the angled joints. None of the joints have failed despite pretty heavy use. I used my tenoning jig to cut the slots for the splines.
    Picture 001.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-23-2023 at 6:52 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute