Thread: The balance between improving and destroying...

The balance between improving and destroying...

My CNC was not originally designed for vertical work but I find it is a critical capability for me. For a while I had a clamping arrangement part under the table part above the table.

A recent project requires another batch of drawers so I decided to take that opportunity to improve the vertical hold down.

So I machined a slot right through the bed of the machine. The router had no problem with the aluminum (some speed and feed changes from wood).

The yellow cam clamps were designed for 20mm pass through holes, but I cut off the post and printed an adapter to use with T slot.

And made an hold down insert that could be put in/out as a section from the rest of the spoil board. I chose not to go with just the vertical insert, because the horizontal force of the clamping I wanted integral support (which backs up against another aluminum extrusion underneath the table, and stops against the edge of the cutout)

It clamps quite well and is a simple lever to hold the piece. I would recommend these yellow clamps

Next will be putting the spoil board back on with a swappable section for this. Oh, and then going back and fine tuning various design features (counter bores, t nut location, etc etc). For you geniuses that get a design just right first time I applaud you. It seems I always have to make a complete design before I 'learn' and then have to go back and iterate again. As noted by my recent tote machining project - so many iterations.

Was nervous about machining a hole through the base - but so far so good.

But... this is significantly improved.

This little router has been serving me well. I have limited space for much larger but so far do not have yearning for 'bigger'.

20231223_102033.jpg20231223_102027.jpg20231218_083204.jpg

It takes Courage to adapt, innovate and overcome! Bravo. The chance of Winning is worth the risk of loosing.

Nice work, Carl. I have a vertical mount on my 1F. It was easier to install because the bench below it is all wood. I like your clamp system, especially since it's on top of the table, though it doesn't look overly secure. My arrangement requires clamping from below, which has some advantages but requires kneeling to do with accuracy.

Good on you for taking the plunge to cut the table.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    though it doesn't look overly secure.

John
    Yes - this was a question while considering the design. I did put Tnuts in the vertical under the table in case I want to use hold downs underneath. A design tradeoff - clamping farther down from the top surface seems good since it presses more on the centerline of the vertical piece. But - the moment is created from the cutter - so having the clamp closer to the cutter is going to be more secure since less of a leverage arm from the forces there. And perhaps less chatter (long support arms can chatter). We will see if the piece lifts along the length once I get some time on it.

Am adding additional flathead bolts on top to secure it to the table, not in the pic.

But I have to say, it holds very well. With a simple flip of the lever I tried moving the clamped workpiece and it takes my weight and the entire machine slides before the piece moves. (I did glue a piece of sandpaper to the vertical surface). And I have two lever clamps side by side for wider boards. Very pleased with the clamping forces.

Still a handful of 'tweaks' to tune in the design but its useable as is. Real world use will tell.

Now... back to the main project! (so far there have been 3 'side projects' started/finished while working on the primary project... but this will be useful for it hence the side track)
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 12-23-2023 at 4:53 PM.

Where did you get the cam clamp? It looks well made.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven O Smith View Post
    Where did you get the cam clamp? It looks well made.
    This one:

https://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-Cla...st_sto_dp&th=1

I got the reference from another members post here.

Thanks. My table does not lend itself to chopping a hole for vertical stock, I'm considering laying the router sideways instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven O Smith View Post
    Thanks. My table does not lend itself to chopping a hole for vertical stock, I'm considering laying the router sideways instead.
    I was looking at that option some time back. There's one orientation that maintains the same signs, +-, as the vertical spindle. Just need to swap cables and reset limits.

Otherwise, it gets complicated... I was thinking maybe a multi contact rotary switch would be a way around that. No idea if that's available off the shelf.