Thread: Cedar bowl

Cedar bowl

I was given some cedar a few months ago and finally turned a piece. This is a natural edge crotch, 11 x 4”. Tried to keep the bark but a chunk came off while turning and I couldn’t find it in the shavings so I just removed the rest with a chisel. Finished with Watco Danish oil.
    Comments and critiques welcome.

Thanks, Tom

IMG_9273.jpgIMG_9272.jpgIMG_9274.jpg
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson80; 12-24-2023 at 12:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    That is very cool! I am having trouble figuring out how that could have been done.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I think it is actually a 'normal' live edge round bowl, but the grain and fact the sides are an irregular height gives the illusion that the inside is not in fact circular. I had to look at the photos for a while to figure it out what was going on, but perhaps the OP can clarify if in fact that is the case.

Thanks for the comments.

That is correct Mark. It is just a half-log crotch piece. I tried to center it to get as much of the crotch feathering in the bottom as possible, so the sides aren’t totally equal in height but it is a simple live edge turning otherwise.

I had turned some aspen and poplar prior to this that left a very sour odor, but after this bowl my shop smells amazing!

Tom