Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable T&G set, 8"ish, with capabilities from 3/8-3/4?

Adjustable T&G set, 8"ish, with capabilities from 3/8-3/4?

I make t&g for the back of cabinets often so the widths work out perfect and out of exotics mostly. Just set up a Paudauk run this morning. Not something I do often, maybe 4-5 times a year. I have the Freud set and they do good until I get to the crazy grained stuff or wood like Padauk that blows out easily. Often it is 3/8"ish as I resaw 4/4. I can search, but I want to know if you have ones you like/hate. Again, looking for larger diameters, I can swing 10, but in the 8" range would be fine. Thanks!

high speed steel, corg head. Think the heads I use are 4 or 5 inch. They will cut clean and not blow out. Oh its not adjustable just different knives for Diff sizes.

Had to do it without the knives in the beginning saw and router but mickey mouse compared. Id think if you want a large sized head a schmidt coping disc would work well think they allow up to 1" of cutting knife surface.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-25-2023 at 2:14 PM.

I use an adjustable groover that’s 200mm in diameter to make the groove, then the two pieces can be inverted with a spacer between to make the tongue in one pass.

It has insert carbide cutters, mine is from Felder however there are many other vendors as well

Regards, Rod

I want it with a 45 degree chamfer. I have large groovers, but that does not leave me with the beveled edge.

Hi Larry, I do this with my 20 year old Garniga Multi Use head. It has grooving knives from 3mm up to 8mm so doing 3/8” thick is possible. Also does the chamfers. I have insert tooling for the 4 sider for this but for small quantities usually go to the shaper.
    I’ll get some pictures today.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Hi Larry, I do this with my 20 year old Garniga Multi Use head. It has grooving knives from 3mm up to 8mm so doing 3/8” thick is possible. Also does the chamfers. I have insert tooling for the 4 sider for this but for small quantities usually go to the shaper.
    I’ll get some pictures today.

Joe, is your Garniga Multi Use head the equivalent of the Multi Use cutter that Rangate offers today? I recently purchased this cutter and it’s quickly become my go to for lots of different operations. Just scratching the surface with it I think.

John, pretty much the same with a couple improvements. I will get some pictures and post tonight. Expensive cutterhead but useful for many things.

Just watched a You Tuber making some T & G paneling for a door using the groover for the groove cut and lowering the head for 2 passes for the tongue cut. He then tilted the head on his shaper (it was a Felder tilting shaper) to make the 45 chamfer. Many passes but less tooling investment.

corg cheapest. Only do 3/4" backs so far. Backs have a strip of GP lam between then as a spacer then screwed in. Male and female knives so four knives total all in one head. Likely still in that head

Here is the sheet from my Garniga Multiuse cutter. The new version is very similar. This is just a few of the operations it will do. Sorry for the wrong rotation of the picture. Equiptment problems in the picture dept.
    Basically, the multiuse cutter is a large adjustable groover that goes 30 to 60mm. can also do furniture size tenons and stub tenons when inverted. It has optional grooving knives 3 to 8mm and several sizes of radius and chamfer knives which can be set anywhere on the head. Allowing for T&G profiles from 3/8" minus up to 2 1/2" or more. same for stub tenons and tenons up to 2" in length. Can also be used as a rebate cutter up to 60mm tall with the option of radius and groove cuts for gaskets.
    .public.jpg

you can do lots with those heads. Whats the cost of one of those heads and the one Jared posted below

public.jpg

These have worked fine for me.
    Capturehh.JPGCapture.JPG
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-27-2023 at 1:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    https://youtu.be/jC2SqTdzIkM?si=C9_Vv2o0WIZKOR_f

Same head, different manufacturer.

Thanks gentlemen. I guess I will get by with what I am running. I like having both set up at the same time and that would be too expensive with the multi use heads. I see Scott & Sargent has a sale on OMAS heads, may order one when I have time.

I have corrugated heads, and drawers of knives, but I just don't like running them.

I get it Larry, you want to utilize your double spindle. This is another old Garniga head I use. It has a adjustable groover in center with top and bottom cutters that have pockets for rounding or chamfer knives. Then I use the Multiuse head either stacked on the T26 shaper or on a separate shaper for the tongue profile. I use this mostly for door work but also works for paneling. Most of my panel details are now rounded instead of chamfer so this works well. Agree about corrugated, I only use it for one off work and customer buys the knives.

Garniga boarding cutter.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Thanks gentlemen. I guess I will get by with what I am running. I like having both set up at the same time and that would be too expensive with the multi use heads. I see Scott & Sargent has a sale on OMAS heads, may order one when I have time.

I have corrugated heads, and drawers of knives, but I just don't like running them.
    Have you considered knives for a limiter head? For someone who isn't terribly interested in doing kitchens, I've somehow acquired a number of knives for that style of cut and they do work very well at larger diameters in good steel. Quicker to install than corrugated and cheap enough that you could get two sets cheaply, one for each profile. Could be made for zero set too where you just swap the heads on one machine and no adjustments required. I gotta say though, it's hard to beat an insert set with the scribes/spurrs/knickers for this in challenging grains, but it's another option.