Thread: Shark hd510

Shark hd510

Hi all. I have purchased a Next Wave Shark HD510 with a 2HP water cooled spindle.
    If I push the pause button, during a carve on the pendant, the CNC stops but the water pump continues to run.
    If I want to pause overnight, say for a very long carve, will the water pump running be a issue?
    Can I unplug the pump and replug the next morning?
    Thanks for reading.
    TROTEC Laser, Roland SP300,SAWGRASS SG1000 Sublimation Printer, Q1 Mod New Hermes Vanguard 3400 Engraver, Daige Laminator, Next Wave Shark HD510 CNC

I am going to guess since I use an air cooled spindle, that yes, you can stop the pump from running when you are done cutting for the day and no longer need the cooling. I cannot imagine a system that would not permit that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’m with Jim on this. Only reason the pump needs to “pump” is if the spindle is “spinning”.

I think I'd let it run for a minute or three when the work is done to move any residual heat away...I do that with my air cooled spindle, too, before shutting down my machine...but otherwise, it's not needed when cooling isn't necessary.
    --

Sage advice Jim.

Slightly off topic but related, I wonder if sitting for hours in the same position if that would be hard on the servos? Or would it affect Z accuracy? I’ve never left my spindle stuck in the same spot for hours on end, so I have no experience.

I’d be more inclined to save work zero, remember g-code line and power everything down and restart the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Sage advice Jim.

Slightly off topic but related, I wonder if sitting for hours in the same position if that would be hard on the servos? Or would it affect Z accuracy? I’ve never left my spindle stuck in the same spot for hours on end, so I have no experience.

I’d be more inclined to save work zero, remember g-code line and power everything down and restart the next day.
    Machines like the OP has don't have servos...they are steppers and they are not as stable as servoes, to the best of my knowledge. How well one can resume a long job after a pause comes down to the machine initialization process and what software one is using. As you described, With the WinCNC controller on my machine, as long as I have not moved the material, after I start up, warmup and re-initialize, say...the next day...as long as I have a line number in the code at or preferably before where the pause was requested, I can resume with little or no issue. I had to do that a number of times with some complex 3D architectural things I did back in early 2019 because of how long it took to cut them due to their size and complexity.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Sage advice Jim.

It doesn't hurt them at all. I deal with lots of different servos and steppers at work and it's not unusual for a stepper (or servo) to hold it's position for weeks when a tool is idle. The holding current isn't that high.