Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Tools

Christmas Tools

Well, what did Santa bring everyone? Where are all the tool gloats?

My better half gifted me with some Bessey clamps and a Bosch power planer amongst other things.

Mrs. Pat either really likes me or just wants to get rid of me by keeping me in the shop. She gifted me a Milwaukee battery track saw. It's really spiffy. Unfortunately, she said she couldn't find any tracks. They were sold out all over town in Colorado Springs. So I got the saw, but I have not track to run it on.

This was on my list-

IMG_4682.jpeg

And this, while not a Christmas present, just showed up a week ago at a price that was practically a gift.
    IMG_4666.jpg

Santa delivered a spiffy new Shaper Origin. I’ve already played around with it and it’s awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Santa delivered a spiffy new Shaper Origin. I’ve already played around with it and it’s awesome!
    Congratulations Michael! I've barely had a chance to play with mine due to the holidays, but hoping the next few days I can. Oh and I got a set of Richter Narex Chisels and a really awesome Brisket Knife for Christmas!
    Last edited by Dan Barber; 12-26-2023 at 1:40 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Mrs. Pat either really likes me or just wants to get rid of me by keeping me in the shop. She gifted me a Milwaukee battery track saw. It's really spiffy. Unfortunately, she said she couldn't find any tracks. They were sold out all over town in Colorado Springs. So I got the saw, but I have not track to run it on.
    Bummer Pat, that would be like a kid getting a train set for Christmas and no track with it

BTW, Festool tracks will work with that saw I believe and perhaps Makita as well? Congrats nonetheless!

The birdies and the pooch (assisted by Professor Dr. SWMBO, of course) brought me a WorkSharp and a Rockler Drill Guide. My older daughter also provided a box of 80 grit abrasives that I needed.

IMG_6304.jpg IMG_6314.jpg IMG_6315.jpg

Pat, you can use Festool and Makita tracks with the Milwaukee saw, but there is a "locking to the rail" feature that requires the Milwaukee version. Try ToolNut if that's important to you; otherwise, brand shop for track(s) in the length(s) you want.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-26-2023 at 1:15 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The WorkSharp was the reason I ever reached SHARP consistently with my bench chisels and plane blades. I tried about every other manual method with less than adequate results. You got a great present as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The birdies and the pooch (assisted by Professor Dr. SWMBO, of course) brought me a WorkSharp and a Rockler Drill Guide. My older daughter also provided a box of 80 grit abrasives that I needed.
    I highly recommend the diamond plated disks for the WorkSharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    The WorkSharp was the reason I ever reached SHARP consistently with my bench chisels and plane blades. I tried about every other manual method with less than adequate results. You got a great present as far as I am concerned.
    Me too. For whatever reason, I never got good results with manual sharpening. Maybe I'm just too impatient... Worksharp helped me a lot.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    So set it on the on the mantelpiece (for now) and position some Christmas greenery around it with lights, and those little ornaments that are about an inch in diameter.
    Some small candy canes on it would not look out of place either (they being red and white, you know)
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 12-26-2023 at 2:07 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Got a Bailey No. 3, Stanley No. 65 both worked over by James Spangler.
    Gift card from Menards, clothes, underwear, etc.
    Ron

This showed up today. A late Christmas gift to myself in preparation for expanding into hand tools a bit more:

PXL_20231226_192524205.jpg
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    Bummer Pat, that would be like a kid getting a train set for Christmas and no track with it

BTW, Festool tracks will work with that saw I believe and perhaps Makita as well? Congrats nonetheless!
    Yeah, I feel just like a kid who got a new Lionel with no track.

Is it better to get one long track or multiple short tracks which can connect? This is my first track saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    So set it on the on the mantelpiece (for now) and position some Christmas greenery around it with lights, and those little ornaments that are about an inch in diameter.
    Some small candy canes on it would not look out of place either (they being red and white, you know)
    Tempted...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I highly recommend the diamond plated disks for the WorkSharp.
    Bryan, I have my eye on the diamond plate setup once I get to know the machine better. I spent a little bit of time today starting that process, doing a couple of wider chisels (they needed "work") and touching up my block plane iron and was pretty impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post

Dwayne, I hear you. I can sharpen with my stones, but consistency isn't my forte with that...along with the imparience you mentioned. Even if the WorkSharp doesn't give me a "Brian Holcombe" quality edge (and I mean that sincerely...he is a master at razor sharp, proven when he was showing me how to do things properly) it's going to raise the level of preparedness of my tools from where they have been for way too long.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-26-2023 at 3:57 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...