Thread: Helical Head Jointer Adjustment?

Helical Head Jointer Adjustment?

Can I rest then end of my dial indicator on the body of the head or does it have to be on the TDC of a blade edge?

IMO always reference the actual cutter.

I use the head because it’s roundness is easy to reference. My suggestion is with a knife head those insert head don’t give much up for measuring.
    A button tip is better then a flat tip the button tip actually has a small flat area on the tip.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Ya. I know you’re right. That way I know the cutter edge is even with the table, or maybe a a smidge higher?

If your trying to set the outfeed table to the height of knives using a dial indicator is the hard way.
    The best way is to let the cut determine the height. Lower the outfeed take a cut on a fairly straight boards edge until 4 or 5 inch hangs over the outfeed. Then raise the outfeed to barely touch bottom of board.
    If your not trying to set outfeed height I apologize for assuming you were.
    Good Luck
    Aj

I would us the head to get the head parallel to the table.
    Then reference off the cutting edge to set the table co-planer to the cutting edge. Way to much math and geometry to set it from the cutter drum.
    Bill D

I set the table parallel to the head, then set the table height by measuring from table to knife or insert.

Regards, Rod.