Thread: Flattening Veneer

Flattening Veneer

I have some Walnut & Roble burl that I got from Veneer supply. I do have to flatten them using Super soft 2. The website says that veneer should be used in 4-7 days once it has been flattened. I was hoping to leave the veneer pressed between two platens until I need them. This may be months later. Would the veneer still be flat and soft enough to use? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last summer I flattened some olive ash burl with that stuff. It did its job, and I laid down the veneer within a week. Three or four weeks later I was cleaning up, and noticed that the veneer scraps were still pliable.

Also — you can repeat the flattening process. So you can flatten the veneer, build the first part of your project, wait however long you need, and then evaluate the veneer, and re-flatten it if necessary.

I don't understand why waiting until a week before you use the veneer is an issue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I don't understand why waiting until a week before you use the veneer is an issue.
    Same here..

I'd have to assume he wants to store it and doesn't want it to crack since it's curled.

You can flatten more than once. If you're not using the pre-made solution, glycerin and water work (I've heard of putting a little pva in the mixture but never tried that - sounds scary lol).

I don't have alot of time to devote to my hobby. I was hoping to aviod having to redo the flattening process every time i need a small portion from the flitch.

I've flattened burl veneer and then stored it between platens for a year or more. It was still flat and fine when I finally did use it.

[I'll add, this was a stack of veneer. I flattened it by using flattening solution, then stacking it with thick paper between the leaves and the stack was pressed. The paper was changed at intervals. When I felt the veneer was dry enough, I stacked it together and put it between platens. You have to make sure the veneer is dry before you stack it that way.
    I've done a reasonable amount of flattening of veneer, most of the time I use it fairly quickly but have done as I described just to get the veneer in usable shape for later.]

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-28-2023 at 2:35 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I'd have to assume he wants to store it and doesn't want it to crack since it's curled.

You can flatten more than once. If you're not using the pre-made solution, glycerin and water work (I've heard of putting a little pva in the mixture but never tried that - sounds scary lol).
    I've never had veneer crack sitting on a shelf.

I've never had veneer crack sitting on a shelf.
    I meant by putting something on it, stacking something, accident sort of thing.

I too have used Mike's method with great results.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I knew what you meant, but why take any chance of having junk around an expensive commodity? I have a lot of figured veneer stored on a shelf that has the next shelf only 6" above the veneer shelf.

Recipe from Scott Grove's Advanced Veneering:

3x water
    2x pva glue
    1x glycerin
    .5x alcohol
    .5x acetone

Dissolve the glycerin into the alcohol first, then add acetone, then water and finally the glue. Saturate veneer with flattening solution, press repeatedly with fiberglass screening and blank newsprint between veneer leaves until nearly dry; final pressing with paper interleaving only. Store between plywood or stiff cardboard until use.

Limiting the space above the shelf is a smart move. I was only speculating since I don't know the ecosystem which the veneer lives in. But I agree about not taking chances.

I knew what you meant, but why take any chance of having junk around an expensive commodity? I have a lot of figured veneer stored on a shelf that has the next shelf only 6" above the veneer shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Recipe from Scott Grove's Advanced Veneering:

3x water
    2x pva glue
    1x glycerin
    .5x alcohol
    .5x acetone

Dissolve the glycerin into the alcohol first, then add acetone, then water and finally the glue. Saturate veneer with flattening solution, press repeatedly with fiberglass screening and blank newsprint between veneer leaves until nearly dry; final pressing with paper interleaving only. Store between plywood or stiff cardboard until use.
    Scott recommends white glue now. The purpose of the glue is to lock the fibers in place so the softened veneer stays flat, even though over time it loses its flexibility.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.