Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a variable speed angle grinder

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    Thanks. Blasting leaves a fuzzy finish that needs sanding..... Walnut shells are a common medium used on logs.

I'll check out the Metabo. Thanks.

I spent years welding pipe. That's why I have a couple Milwaukee grinders. They do not appear to make a 4.5" with VS.
    One of the reasons you don't see a Milwaukee 4.5" VS corded grinder is because they have devoted almost all product development to cordless tools for the last ten years. Any corded tools you are looking at from them are legacy designs... This is true of almost all power tool manufacturers today.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    One of the reasons you don't see a Milwaukee 4.5" VS corded grinder is because they have devoted almost all product development to cordless tools for the last ten years. Any corded tools you are looking at from them are legacy designs... This is true of almost all power tool manufacturers today.
    Good point. Cordless have their advantages, but I still like to use corded tools for some tasks.

Makita looks to have the most options for what I'm looking for.

I built this house in 99. I've gone through this process of refinishing several times now. Tried most techniques, and various products marketed as wood brighteners..... They all suck balls and do not work. I've wasted more time trying new things, than just sucking it up and getting the sanders and grinders out, and getting to work.

Blog Entries
    I prefer corded on anything that requires a vacuum to pull dust out or otherwise would add significantly to the weight of the tool. I think the battery powered thing is a bit over-done at the moment. It's great for drills and drivers but it's actually worse for a lot of things.

That said, it is great for job site tools where running a cord is a PITA or impossible.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I use die grinders alot, easy to have many with deducted bits. They are small and light and i can throttle them. I also run 1/4" pneumatic CNC air line which has no weight. Its smaller of course so I up the air pressure to recover some loss from the smaller size. what it equates to is a very light tool with no cord weight hanging off and lots of freedom to focus on the work.

I emailed my detailer friend about cordless and didnt get an answer other stuff going on. Hes a pro and unless cordless polishing stuff is really good he wont have interest. He was the first guy I saw using the old Wen heavy oribital sanders he referred to as the UFO. he could do car hoods and roofs one handed, the machine weight gave some pressure. Havent been there in a bit and know hes bought more newer makita stuff.

For wood, you may want a built-in controller. I've found that my $14 Harbor F. (sale), grinder is great with a cutting blade as it is light like a pencil, for metal that is. I do mostly metal these days so don't need a control like that.. Maketa, Milwaki, Craftsman, and Harbour F. have been running fine for lots of years I beat them once in a while.