Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a variable speed angle grinder

Looking for a variable speed angle grinder

I use a 4.5" Milwaukie angle grinder and various sanding disks whenever I need to remove old and weathered stain from the logs of my log home. Next spring is time for another recoat.... This year, I want to try some cup brushes that a freind of mine suggested. https://www.amazon.com/Dura-Gold-Abr...665578011&th=1

My friend also suggested a variable speed grinder when using these cup brushes. The grinder needs to be somewhat compact, so I get get to most of the logs. It also needs to hold up to the abuse of A LOT of dust.

If anyone has experience with one of these smaller 4-5" VS angle grinders, your thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

I'd suggest a Milwaukee M18 variable speed cordless, especially if any ladder work is involved. Suggested model - 2888-20 for bare tool or 2888-22 for tool with batteries and charger. Not cheap, but it will get the job done.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

I have used a speed controller with grinder and router. HF has one but rated only a 8 amps. ~18$
    Grizzly has one rated at 20 Amps but is ~60 $.

AFAIK all corded angle grinders use a brush type motor. So all can be speed controlled by a simple SCR speed control like the HF one.
    Bill D

have several and reach for the Makita with the speed control most often. Not tried Milw battery stuff but do see the polisher and on it the battery points down. I dont get people, the battery should have pointed up to be out of the way, The last thing I want polishing is to be restricted by a design detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    have several and reach for the Makita with the speed control most often. Not tried Milw battery stuff but do see the polisher and on it the battery points down. I dont get people, the battery should have pointed up to be out of the way, The last thing I want polishing is to be restricted by a design detail.
    Have you used one? There are reasons tools are designed the way they are. I've got several of the Milwaukee grinders and polishers, they all perform well beyond my expectations. The polishers are awesome when it comes to detailing on an automobile.
    Last edited by Dan Barber; 12-27-2023 at 10:26 PM.

Michael, I have just purchased the Arbortech Turboplane kit. The grinder is 4 1/2" and variable speed. It has a planing feature as well as carving. I went for the full kit (that is, with the grinder and not just the blade) as it has excellent dust control.

Look them up on YouTube.

Regards from Perth

Derek

said I havent used it but worked on cars to high value with my corded stuff. Less clearance on that than my makita rotary and 6040. Struck me right away seeing it, watched some you tubes and watched barely clearing the car on one detailer

Cordless polishers are a game changer when it comes to detailing automobiles. YouTubes or not, it's another level of freedom when it comes to detailing and polishing. But it's ultimately up to you to decide which system works for you...

learned from a top guy here and so far hes not gone cordless. I ask from time to time. Be good in Milwaukee loaned him hes been in it since 12 years old and has huge history. Before him I learned in LA. Id be happier with no cord for sure if the power is there but as soon as I saw that battery down thought what were they thinking. You tube guy was too close at times cause of it. In fact I thought ill modify it to battery up. Ive modified tools. Cut up the Occidental tool belt, cut the handle rubber off the stiletto hammer and more. Some companies have made changes from comments made to them. Know a number of the detail things have gone cordless just not had time to try or test any, in other directions right now.

Ummm..... Not to be turd in the punch bowl of generosity, but please imagine...... You are working through baked stain on logs. 10' wall height, 54' X 46' box. That's a LOT of battery time. Cordless, as much as I love the freedom, just ain't gunna work in this situation, unless I buy a bank of them.

Problem with log homes, is the upkeep. The UV's destroy finish products, and I don't care what they are. Now I'm in need to work through all that crap and get back to clear wood.

Dust is everywhere. No way to use dust collectors. That's simply not an option. This is a job that requires a mind set that a mess is about to by made. Cover up, wear a dust mask, figure out how to minimize clean up. Rain, shine, doesn't matter. And we get a lot of rain here. Once i start, it's game on till done.

So, what I need, I need to work.

Lesson learned: this is my first log home, only log home, and most definitely - my last log home. Love it, hate it. My next home will be brick.

Anyone looking to move to Alaska, live the "last frontier dream" in a big assed log house, get hold of me. I'm fixing to retire and move. Soon.

What about sand blasting? I know that would be a horrible mess but it seams like you will have one either way.

As for grinders, Metabo are the masters. The only grinders that get stolen from us so thats a testament to them. and they have variable speed
    https://www.metabo.com/us/enus/

Agree, cordless tools are great if they are not going to run 8 hrs straight.

We started buying $50 bosch and using them till they break. in the end we are saving over the Metabos because they are 3 times the price but eventually vanish.
    Last edited by George Yetka; 12-28-2023 at 7:28 AM. Reason: more words

Blog Entries
    I agree with George, I prefer Metabo (the brand from Germany, not Metabo HPT), they're very well made.

I rarely use an angle grinder now, but used them extensively when I was doing welding/fabrication work.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks. Blasting leaves a fuzzy finish that needs sanding..... Walnut shells are a common medium used on logs.

I'll check out the Metabo. Thanks.

I spent years welding pipe. That's why I have a couple Milwaukee grinders. They do not appear to make a 4.5" with VS.

I looked at a secluded home and shop on small acres with forest and farms around it many years back. Asked the old guy to come up and he flat our refused. He looked at the photo and said you dont want a wood home its too much time. As it turned out a friend bought it and has a very successful corvette restoration bus there. I know its been refinished at least once but not thought to ask but will next time.

What about dry ice blasting or some other way what do the boards look like and what do you want them to look like. Some of the things that abrade or remove material may not do it evenly between hard and soft wood as well depending on what you use. Have seen people power wash cedar and turn it into something else.