Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Luxury Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Saw similar properties in the North Carolina mountains while working insurance claims there. Snowbirds/Florida property owners who only used these luxury homes a couple of weeks per year. I'm not mad at them.
    It's a place to park money. Real estate is a decent investment in inflationary times. I've known a number of folks that invested in a second "vacation" home they didn't use much. Usually a smaller place on a lake or in the country. When it came time to retire they cashed out their primary residence and moved to vacation land.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    It's a place to park money. Real estate is a decent investment in inflationary times. I've known a number of folks that invested in a second "vacation" home they didn't use much. Usually a smaller place on a lake or in the country. When it came time to retire they cashed out their primary residence and moved to vacation land.
    That makes a lot of sense and probably explains a lot of it.

And there is also the curve balls of life. With vacation homes and big boats people buy them with intentions to use them and out of nowhere comes a curve ball and their plan changes in an instant.

Both of those happen all the time on the lake here. I've never heard of anyone losing money on one though, except for the boats. There are pontoon boats going for 170 and wake surf boats over 300, and more people are buying them than using them to amount to anything. Even in poorer economic times, I never kept a spec house over 2 weeks after I put a price on one. That with no advertising and no realtor involved. Just a 2' square sign at the road and on the lake side once I decided on a price to put on it.

Have you checked the internet to see who owns it? I would not be surprised to see it belonged to a corporation out of the country.

Personally, I would be happy to have it in my neighborhood, as it would indirectly help the value of my house.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 12-30-2023 at 11:25 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Taylor Swift person of the year...
    There's a lot of minsunderstanding about TIME magazine's Person of the Year. Probably most controversial was 1938: Adolf Hitler. (Yes, really. It's not a myth.)

Most people I talk to about this believe Person of the Year means TIME Magazine thinks they are great people, the best people, the most amazing people, etc. Nope. It's about having an influence on the world; for better or worse. And who had more influence on the world in 1938 than Adolf Hitler? Taylor Swift is a cultural dynamo. She has a HUGE influence on popular music and, more recently, the movie business. While most movies are bombing at the box office these days, Taylor Swift's concert movie made over $250,000,000. Yeah, that's a lot of influence no matter what kind of person she is. (I've never met her, but all indicators suggest she's actually good person despite her collossal success.)

As for the expensive house down the street which is almost always empty, it's likely a tax writeoff. A member of my extended family sold his business years ago and retired. I don't know how much he got for that business, but I expect it was multiple millions. He owns many houses; some he rents. Some sit empty. He can either use his money to buy houses or he can give his money to the goverment in the form of taxes. He chooses to buy houses. Likely the people spending all that money on that house in Oregon made the same decision.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 12-30-2023 at 6:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    There's a lot of minsunderstanding about TIME magazine's Person of the Year. Probably most controversial was 1938: Adolf Hitler. (Yes, really. It's not a myth.)

Most people I talk to about this believe Person of the Year means TIME Magazine thinks they are great people, the best people, the most amazing people, etc. Nope. It's about having an influence on the world; for better or worse. And who had more influence on the world in 1938 than Adolf Hitler?
    Wasn't the personal computer "Person of the Year" sometime back in the 1980s?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Wasn't the personal computer "Person of the Year" sometime back in the 1980s?
    Yes, I forgot about that. Just looked it up. It was 1982. And it 1988 it was Planet Earth.