Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Build Thread for Greene and Greene Sideboard- lots of pics

Mike i admire your handtool skills especially your vintage saw restoration abilities.
    I think you strayed too far from Arts and crafts design. Some of the proportions look off.
    I know this is real life and people can do whatever they want I’m not putting your work down. Just giving something for thought.
    If we are going to copy work of the masters or emulate. Best to bring it exactly or stay far away.
    It’s not too much different then singing a popular song like hotel California. If we cannot sing it well and everyone tells you it’s great. Maybe they’re not your friends.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Now that you mention it, my bench top really does look pretty rough!
    Cheers, Mike.
    I actually like your bench top. Sorry if my previous comments came out wrong. The younger people I work with would very likely describe your bench as having 'cred' or being 'legit.'

It is self evident that things get done on that bench top. And I know it is flat, otherwise your cases would not go together.

I can afford a little Danish oil, but Rock Maple has to go on a really long road trip to get to me. I was hoping to maybe hear about some other durable wood for a bench top at a lower price point, but that is OK; your rock maple is effectively cloaked with a bit of finish.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Mike, a great build and impressive sideboard! I appreciate your extensive display of hand tool use - this is what the Neanderthal forum is all about for me. I frequently have trouble trimming the width of tenons to get the 3rd or 4th shoulders. I use a pencil and ruler to make a line to rip with my handsaw, but I am not satisfied with my results. Your Veritas sliding square/ruler looks to be the answer. It seems you highly recommend it? Thanks Mark
    Mark, I 100% recommend the sliding veritas square/ruler thing. I don’t know what it’s really called, but I use it all the time for marking relative to reference face-e.g. laying out rabbit depths/widths, string inlay, thickness of boards to be re-sawn etc. All the same applications you can use an adjustable square for - just larger reference surfaces.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I'm a bit late to the Party...looks great!

How about one of these, next time to mill round tenons?
    Attachment 512806
    Made by E.C. Stearns...1/4" to 1-1/4" cutter...
    Attachment 512807
    Powered by just about any sized brace, too..
    Thanks Steven- that’s just what I was thinking of. I’ve never used anything like that- how do you like it? Is there a blade in there somewhere you can sharpen? Seems like would be very popular with chair makers-yeah?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post

Is there a blade in there somewhere you can sharpen? Seems like would be very popular with chair makers-yeah?
    Yes, there is a blade.

There are different set ups with hollow augers. This is also an E.C. Sterns model:

Hollow Auger Business End.jpg

Think of it as a rotary shoulder plane. It cuts the shoulder and leaves a round tenon.

Mine came with the original depth stop missing. A dowel was cut to length to be used as a makeshift depth stop held in place with zip ties.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yep, mine also has such a blade
    E.C.Stearns, bottom view.JPG
    Blade/iron also has a slot, so the operator can adjust the depth setting.
    replated, with a Brace drill.JPG
    Takes a lot of room in use...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Lookin' good.

Mike, thank you for posting this build. I am always encouraged, inspired and motivated by your craftsmanship. I have a question about the glue up and joinery of the top. Are the tenons a tight fit or do you cut them a little narrower in width than that of the mortise? And I noted clamps just on the outside edges. Did you apply glue to all the tenons in the bread board or just the outside?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Mike i admire your handtool skills especially your vintage saw restoration abilities.
    I think you strayed too far from Arts and crafts design. Some of the proportions look off.
    I know this is real life and people can do whatever they want I’m not putting your work down. Just giving something for thought.
    If we are going to copy work of the masters or emulate. Best to bring it exactly or stay far away.
    It’s not too much different then singing a popular song like hotel California. If we cannot sing it well and everyone tells you it’s great. Maybe they’re not your friends.
    Good Luck
    AJ, I appreciate your feedback, and you’re quite right; although I borrowed many of the design elements from the Greene and Greene style (which could be considered derivative of Craftsmen), such as the through tennons, Ebony highlights, cloud lift elements, etc., the dimensions and proportions are all mine individually and aren’t typically of craftsmen design.

The dimension/proportions were driven by a couple different factors, this was built for a specific spot in our house, and Sherrie wanted the open shelf on the bottom to display some of her stuff. Additionally, I prefer sort of “lighter“, less chunky look than the typical craftsman style and that’s why the tapered legs, slimmer profile, etc. I know it’s not for everyone, but it works for us.

Design) is one of my biggest insecurities. I really much prefer working from existing, proven classic standards. When I freelance like thisis when I get into trouble. Thanks again for the feedback – all the best.

Mike.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Mike, thank you for posting this build. I am always encouraged, inspired and motivated by your craftsmanship. I have a question about the glue up and joinery of the top. Are the tenons a tight fit or do you cut them a little narrower in width than that of the mortise? And I noted clamps just on the outside edges. Did you apply glue to all the tenons in the bread board or just the outside?
    Hey Joe, you’re exactly right – I try and allow room for the top to expand across the grain within the mortices of the breadboard ends. That means, as you correctly anticipated, that the mortices in BB ends are wider than the tennons. I also glue about the middle third and then pin all the M&T joints with dowels. Those are covered by the ebony plugs.

Greene & Greene often begs for a little lightening up and a pot board and overall slimmer proportions could do just that. Good luck.

IF sometime, you decide you do need one of these..let me know....all I would need is a Mailing address to send it to...without the Brace, of course...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Thanks , Mike. We always enjoy your work. The walnut figure reminds me of , Marblized Paper . Fine stuff.

Mike,

I also greatly enjoy and appreciate the detailed builds that folks like you, Steven, and others do. Nice work also!

My guess is that the Arts And Crafts folks also varied the "standard dimensions" when a customer needed a piece to fit a specific spot in the house.

Thanks for the build.

Regards,

Stew

Beautiful work as usual Mike! Spectacular wood choices. I’ve been pondering a new genre to work on that still incorporates beautiful, stunning wood patterns and I think you have once again inspired me.

My best to you and family for a wonderful New Year!