Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency car glass breaker

Emergency car glass breaker

Emergency glass breaker

In the last 2 months 6 people in the Uk have sadly lost their lives by drowning in cars which have submerged water

Can anyone please advise on what would be the best tool to break the glass in a car in these circumstances

My first thought was an automatic spring loaded centre punch

I’ve seen an add for those things, but it was years ago . I’m betting you can still buy them. I think it was just a small hammer in a
    cloth bag .

Search Amazon for emergency glass breaker, several options including some spring loaded ones you described, some also incorporate a seat belt cutter.

We keep one in the car at all times. With so much being electric, you almost have to.

They can also be used for playing a Xylophone

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    We keep one in the car at all times. With so much being electric, you almost have to.
    Electric has nothing to do with it. The water pressure jams the submerged window tight to the frame and it cannot be cranked or otherwise moved.

The "Res-Q-Me" tool from Task Force Tips in Valparaiso, IN is my choice. This tool is tough and will perform, and made in USA by a company that does a lot of NFPA rated equipment. I keep their Rescue Wrench in my car and always carried one in my bunker coat when firefighting. Amazon sells a 3-pack of the Res-Q-Me for about $22 (USD). When still active in fire, i helped a few rural VFDs write grants to distribute to their residents--drainage ditches are all over the place, and deeper than they look from the road!!
    earl
    Last edited by Earl McLain; 12-28-2023 at 7:28 PM.

does anyone have a club, one of those steering wheel lock things.

You are americans dont yuall carry guns?

Seems like tons of yutes in Canada do, only no permits. Pretty sad where things have gone since us elders were kids.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-29-2023 at 12:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    The "Res-Q-Me" tool from Task Force Tips in Valparaiso, IN is my choice.
    A woman at work had one of these. When someone asked to see it, she opened her trunk and took it out of her toolbox.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Just a couple side notes about exiting a submerged vehicle. If you have a tool in your car, by all means use it. Just remember that you’ll want to figure out a secure location for it so that it doesn’t fly out of reach should the entry into the water be somewhat violent. If you do use some sort of glass break tool, make sure to apply it to a lower corner of the window, where the window is stiffest, not the center nor the top corners where the glass can flex, making the tool less effective.

The second has been shown to be possible but would be a last resort. Many people drown because they exhaust themselves trying to open the door as the vehicle is sinking, but still full of air. Vehicle doors can be opened relatively easily once the interior is also full of water, so remaining calm, and preparing for when the air is gone is key to being able to get the door open and swim to the surface. But you don’t want to do things that increase your breathing and heart rate prior to taking the last possible breath from the remaining air in the vehicle.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A woman at work had one of these. When someone asked to see it, she opened her trunk and took it out of her toolbox.

jtk
    Kind of missed the point on that!! It's amazing how easily a side window will shatter with a spring punch but not so easy with a fist. Worth a trip to a salvage yard to "experiment" on one (with the yard's permission, of course!!). Jason Roehl's comments are spot-on as well. Folks don't realize how much pressure water exerts on a vehicle door, near impossible to open even if partially submerged.

Not driving into flood waters would be my preferred course of action. It's astonishing how many people will (apparently) say, "well it's only a couple feet deep, and the long way around will take an extra 10 minutes". When I lived in Missouri it seems we lost several people every spring who drove around the "road closed" barriers to cross a flooded stream. I'm not sure a window breaking device is the right answer to this.

We have the small orange hammer looking ones. but I bet an auto center punch would work great. Its important to hit it at a corner. The glass is weakest there

Also as your going in drop the window. you will have a bit of time before power dies

Most of the one's I've seen also have a built in razor to slice through your seat belt if needed. I think the real trick is (1) remembering you have it and (2) having it within reach if you are sideways or upside down.