Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergency car glass breaker

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A woman at work had one of these. When someone asked to see it, she opened her trunk and took it out of her toolbox.

jtk
    I wonder, was it "the sharpest tool in the box"? Obviously she wasn't.

We have a spring-loaded one in the console of both of our SUVs.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A woman at work had one of these. When someone asked to see it, she opened her trunk and took it out of her toolbox.

jtk
    Sad....very sad.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Also as your going in drop the window. you will have a bit of time before power dies
    Now that just makes way too much sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    Now that just makes way too much sense!
    Very sensible in theory, in practice, maybe not. Your car has just likely been in some event that has caused it to go off the road, you are busy trying to correct it's direction of motion, your wife and kids are yelling and now the car is in the water and you are wondering what the heck just happened. Right-side up? Maybe not. In darkness, likely, and your wife is still yelling.
    I'll say it again, crank windows are no advantage once the water level is high enough to jam them tight to the frame.

Cannot be sure for the UK, but here in the US those adjustable head rests for the driver and passenger (at a minimum) have hard posts that are supposed to be used as glass breakers in the event of submersion. Apparently the car manufacturers aren't anxious to advertise that their cars don't float well, so I seldom see this information published. My old '66 VW Bug would have to be blown out of the water as a navigation hazard if you drove into the drink. Such tight construction is no longer available.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

I remember back in the 60s when the VW bugs were very popular it wasn't unusual to see some news item about one floating here or there.
    While it may work, if you can get it free, the head rest being deliberately designed as a glass breaker is a myth. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ca...rgency-escape/

I live in the Uk

Dave a huge thank you for this tip I will share it with friends and family

regards Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    Emergency glass breaker

In the last 2 months 6 people in the Uk have sadly lost their lives by drowning in cars which have submerged water

Can anyone please advise on what would be the best tool to break the glass in a car in these circumstances

My first thought was an automatic spring loaded centre punch
    I've had one of these on my key chain for many, many years. They work great, and can also be used to cut seat belts. I live remote, and we get a lot of snow and ice on the roads in winter. I carry an emergency bag in my truck as well, to aid folks that might find themselves stuck in a ditch, waiting for help. I have also responded to roll-overs and other vehicle accidents.

These tools also make for great party tricks. Hand one to a drunk buddy, ask them to "push the button" with their thumb over the plunger. It's completely harmless, but will scare the hell out of them!

They make great stocking stuffers too....

https://resqme.com/multi-color-3-packs/