Thread: Bandsaw purchase advice

Bandsaw purchase advice

Looking at a Jet 12 inch bandsaw this is a older one made in Taiwan, 1/2 hp 200.00,any one know if its a good one for the money? I will be cutting up to 1 inch hard wood at times but not always, thanks.

I don't think you'll being any re-sawing on it, but it will surely cut 1" thick stock.
    Regards,

Tom

Take a look at these reviews from years ago: https://www.amazon.com/708901-JWBS-1...ews/B00002265N

I would likely not pay more than $100 for saw of that size and vintage. Particularly with no way of knowing how it was (or was not) cared for.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Thanks, then again I just looked at a parts supply site it looks like most parts are discontinued, what do you think of the grizzly 10 inch? I have a 14 powermatic for the bigger saw.

I went with a 10" Rikon when I got a small saw in 2018 to go with my 18". It's been a great little saw and was only around $200 new at the time, though I guess they're more now. I looked at the Grizzly 10" saws at the time and decided to go with the Rikon but I don't know nowadays.

I have been looking at that one also, some one may have one used for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elett View Post
    Thanks, then again I just looked at a parts supply site it looks like most parts are discontinued, what do you think of the grizzly 10 inch? I have a 14 powermatic for the bigger saw.
    The 14" Powermatic is not a large saw. Unless you need a jobsite saw I don't see the need.
    John

It's very helpful to know how you will use a machine when you ask for help purchasing something. Otherwise it's all guess work and speculation.

That 14" saw you have will do everything you need the little guy to do but it'll do it better. Don't waste your money, an extra blade for your existing powermatic is the best solution imho.

Thanks, I was getting a little impatient about changing the blade for a project,but I will keep the money in the bank .

200 is too much yes. be patient and look on facebook. I like cast iron, and it would be worth getting 1hp. I do have a 9in. Delta 1970ish and I use it often.. Morso than my 16-castiron Grizzly these days.

Yes I'm shur you agree that sadly, the 30 year old machines most of the time are better than the new ones. I thought maybe it being a older jet it might be worth it, but if I needed a part the site i looked at were all discontinued, ill keep looking for a different saw maby.

So you're not that happy with the grizzly saw eather?

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    The 14" Powermatic is not a large saw. Unless you need a jobsite saw I don't see the need.
    John
    I had the same thought initially but if someone uses narrow bands like for scrolling it'd be handy to dedicate a saw to that use.

I would love to have three bandsaws in my shop. If I still had my Delta clone, I'd put a 1/4 or maybe a 3/8 dedicated blade. A half inch in my 14bx and a 1" in whatever monstrosity I was able to jam into my back room - but then I'd have to rearrange my entire shop since... etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I had the same thought initially but if someone uses narrow bands like for scrolling it'd be handy to dedicate a saw to that use.