Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project or Board?

Project or Board?

I hesitated to post this but here goes.
    This "project" was in last months WWJ ezine.
    https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/p...-serving-tray/

So haw many of you see a Substantial Serving Tray and how many see a board?

I like natural edge furniture and items to a point but not since the last time I was camping did I eat off of a board with bark and call it a "serving tray".

Maybe I just need to pay my dues to The Old Curmudgeons Club and call it a day

The current trend of natural edge items has lost it's way IMO.

It looks like a pimped out board to me.

That is a cutoff from the shop of a guy with a marketing degree. If he was at the top of his field, it would be a charcuterie tray.

As a serving tray it’s a failure, unless it gets a part in another Alcatraz film. It’s good feature is it kinda looks like a steak.

My cutting boards are just boards with the corners rounded to 1/4", and I also use them as trivets, but then they are mostly hidden by whatever is sitting on top of them. It does seem like a stretch to call this a "project" but I would say that as an object it might be more useful than all those striped cutting boards that shouldn't be used as trivets because the glue would be overheated.

I'm sorry, but it's just a remnant cutoff of a board. It looks kind of clumsy for a serving "tray".
    I have three pieces of walnut in the basement, that look more interesting than that.
    One is going to be an aux outfield table for an industrial sewing machine. The other two were to test finishes.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

FWW stopped making me stretch a long time ago. I had a subscription from the send copy till about 15 years ago, by then it had become a hobbyist magazine. The best ones were back in the black and white days. I still have them.

Its a live edge table for Lilliputins.

Am I allowed to say Lilliputins anymore?

That guy needs to be hit over the head with a needlessly heavy board with no edge containment for slipping stuff.
    Bill D

I am waiting for some one to take a large buffalo chip and encase it in epoxy then sell it, upside down, as a serving tray. I saw some tortillas the other day in the store. made from free range corn.
    BilL D

Well I'm glad to know it's not just me.
    Initially, I thought the "project" was going to involve making something out of the nice walnut board, I didn't realize it was done.

I did some "googling" and found many other examples and was shocked at the amount of them and the prices some are asking for..
    I suppose I should just sell most of my tools and just go out back, pick up a piece of scrap, come up with a ridiculous use for it and list it for sale.
    They're asking $100 for this one on etsy
    il_1588xN.1928110949_fd1n.jpg

Ed
    What folks ask, and what they get, can be vastly different.
    If someone is selling boards like that for a $100.00 and getting it, good on them.
    Those handles, if real, are worth more than than the board by a large magnitude. This are some nice handles.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Ed
    What folks ask, and what they get, can be vastly different.
    If someone is selling boards like that for a $100.00 and getting it, good on them.
    Those handles, if real, are worth more than than the board by a large magnitude. This are some nice handles.
    That's specifically why I said asking but many do indeed sell
    I also noticed how heavy the handles were and thought for a second, it would be worth the price and the board would be free.

All that being said, I still think it's a design trend gone awry

Those handles would be laughed out of a real kitchen. Way to many sharp crevices to trap and hold bacteria with no way to clean them out. The rusty surface is also a bacteria breeding ground and will wipe the excess bacteria off onto the servers hands to share with customers. Perhaps they can sell some trays to Ptomaine Thompson's cafeteria.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-30-2023 at 10:00 PM.

Board - project - I see neither.

I see this.

Trends are like that. At least this one is fairly innocent. Not like the "open concept" crock that destroyed a lot of really nice older houses.
    I'd put this trend along side of Avacado appliances, pink toilets and shag carpet.

Now, if y'all excuse me, it's New Year's Eve and I have to fire up the Lava Lamp for tonight .
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon