Thread: Thread/Screw size question

Thread/Screw size question

I am restoring a Stanley #4 style plane and need a replacement screw for the front tote/handle.
    Does anyone out there in hand-tool land know the thread size/pitch of this item.
    Thanks in advance.

I don't know the thread size, but I know that Jim does, and will probably post an answer. However there are always original parts for the old Stanley planes on that auction site. They are pretty pricey, and you will pay a minimum of at least $10 for one, but they are available. You will need to know the needed length, and whether it is one of the old Stanley planes or not. I think some of the later ones, say 1950 and later have different set ups.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    I am restoring a Stanley #4 style plane and need a replacement screw for the front tote/handle.
    Does anyone out there in hand-tool land know the thread size/pitch of this item.
    Thanks in advance.
    By chance do you mean for the front knob?

This image might be helpful.

Stanley Plane Parts.jpg

The image if from > https://www.antique-used-tools.com/comparts.htm

Stanley used 12-20 threads on all the bolts/screws that threaded into the body. This is at least up to 1950. I do not know much about their production after that.

If it is for the knob, there are different lengths used for different size knobs.

If you can post pictures of your plane it would be helpful.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)