Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Dust Collector Help

New Dust Collector Help

Hello

I have a smaller 1 stage grizzly dust collector with the filter on top and the plastic bag on the bottom.G0583 It has worked fine for me but with having a CNC now and the bag is a pain to empty. It seems I need to clean the filter every time also. Time to up grade. From most of the reading I have done on here the short cyclones are not that great for the money. I don't want to do a large oneida unit and spend 4 grand on that plus all the ducting. I was thinking is it dumb to buy a PM 1300 or PM1900 and add the oneida large dust deputy to it on a 30 gallon drum.

The harvey ones seem cool but the 700 machine does not really have that much CFM for the 3000 dollar price. I did stop by grizzly tools last month but I just not impressed with them. So they are out as a choice. I want to spend around 2 grand is my budget. I watched some stuff on the Laguna and it seems people go both ways on them also. Thanks

If you plan on adding a chip separator, just do it and see how it works, you might not need to upgrade the dust collector itself.

I made my own from an old water softener brine tank, but a trash can would work as well. I use it with the 2hp harbor freight collector.

99% of the stuff will go in the bucket which is a bit easier to deal with compared to those stupid bag things. It's also quite large

Though I'm looking to get a short cyclone to save space at some point cause I'm in s small basement, maybe a g0860 or the next size up.

Don't underestimate the Harvey G700. I'm running my new shop on one with a pretty large duct network and the results have been outstanding. (I had a big Oneida cyclone in my old, physically smaller shop) The Harvey is also much better on the sound level side. Be careful with the CFM listings for the mass market single stage units, too. They are, um...marketing numbers...

I'll also note that my CNC doesn't produce a "yuge" amount of dust/chips compared to other tools, such as my jointer/thicknesser. I did need to cut the grate out of the inlet on the Harvey because of how the Tersa knives on my jointer/thicknesser create fluffy shavings that can plug things up quickly. Emptying the bins is easy and I'm still using the original liner bags which I dump into 55 gallon heavy bags for disposal since I cannot compost them here on this much smaller property.

Here's where the G700 lives:

IMG_3689.jpg

Overall view including duct work:

IMG_4834.jpg

IMG_5206.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-31-2023 at 8:03 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I recently added a chip separator to my HB dust collector. Fairly cheap to do - ~$20 for the elbows/fittings and ~$20 for the garbage can (I got a 20 gallon garbage can so that it fits under my workbench). It does a good job collecting a lot of the debris. What drove me to do this was I've started to do a bunch of bowl turning, and those shavings tend to be long and straw like, and the would tend to clog on the fan guard in the dust collector - the pre-separator means they don't get that far, and I think that taking a plastic garbage can to dump the wood chips out is easier than the plastic bag.

As far as the filter bag, before I'd empty the plastic bag, I'd just unhook the filter bag and knock all the loose dust from it (not removing it from the machine) so it would fall into the plastic bag. In theory, you want some amount of dust lining the filter bag - while it reduces airflow, it improves filtering as it clogs the holes of the filter bag to some degree.

The G700 is very nice, but you are paying for a lot of engineering. Great if you want the high end engineering and design (i.e. variable speed, quiet, good separation to a point).

I would look at the Jet JCDC-2 cyclone, based on your budget:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/j...-collector-2hp

Though, it looks like Amazon has it for a very good price:
    https://www.amazon.com/Jet-JCDC-2-Cy...ef=sr_1_1?th=1

It has a good size 14-1/2” impeller and will definitely pull a lot of air.

Your G0583 has a VERY small 9” impeller and you will see a significant increase in performance with either the G700 or the Jet JCDC-2.

The Laguna stuff can be nice, but I have read that they have spotty support. also, there is typically a lifetime of 4-7 years on their tools before they switch to a new manufacturer. The Jet will have parts/support available for a long time.

I see lots of good used units on craig's list for about 1/3-1/2 new prices. Not much to go wrong. May need motor bearings and a better filter.
    Bill D

5HP Clearvue, $1,800 near you.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/d...698381620.html

https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/pro...0-three-phase/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-30-2023 at 10:26 PM.

I had a Laguna, I think C-flux 1? It was a bit older so I don't remember exactly. While nice, the CFM was laughably overrated. Like Jim says...marketing. I felt the footprint was rather large too. Build quality was decent but nothing to write home about. When I built the new shop I replaced it with an Oneida Supercell. It's outstanding, built to the highest standards and powerful, but 500-700 over your budget. The only other contender, for which I have experience and in your price range, is the Oneida Gorilla. IMHO Oneida is the best...all they do is dust collection. But they aren't the cheapest option, unfortunately.

I thought long and hard on the Harvey 700 and from what I researched, it's a great DC too, but it's also over your budget. I looked at ClearVue and I've seen one in person. While ClearVue no doubt make a great machine, they just seem huge to me LOL.
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 12-31-2023 at 12:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    No need to spend tons on ducting. Just use 26 ga snap-lock from your local sheet metal supplier. https://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthr...all&highlight=
    NOW you tell me...

Thanks for the reply's. I wanted to have a budget of 2k but I know it will be more like 3k to find a nice machine. With buying a CNC this year put a big dent in the toy fund. I do like the harvey. Do you find the dust bin to be small? Is it like 14 gallons in size? Have you found any dislikes? I see that it is variable speed. Not sure why you would need that on a large machine like that.

I do like that super cell from Oneida. That one has some pretty cool features.
    Last edited by Dan Richeson; 12-31-2023 at 7:55 PM.

The G700 has a dust bin capacity of about 35 gallons. The variable speed lets you enjoy even lower sound levels...the only time I run the VFD pedals to the metal is when I'm using the jointer/thicknesser. Otherwise, I knock it down about 20% or so. The only things that I've had to deal with on the G700 are the aforementioned grid in the inlet clogging with the fluffy shavings my FS35 produces with its Tersa knives and the master power switch being on the rear of the unit which while fine for mobile use like I did before getting all my quick connect ductwork installed, is an issue with a fixed position against a wall (and under a bench in my case). At the moment I use the breaker to kill it when I'm not in the shop, but I have the parts to construct a master electrical disconnect that will be mounted on the front of the bench.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Richeson View Post
    Thanks for the reply's. I wanted to have a budget of 2k but I know it will be more like 3k to find a nice machine. With buying a CNC this year put a big dent in the toy fund. I do like the harvey. Do you find the dust bin to be small? Is it like 14 gallons in size? Have you found any dislikes? I see that it is variable speed. Not sure why you would need that on a large machine like that.

I do like that super cell from Oneida. That one has some pretty cool features.
    I think I’d have a hard time getting used to any DC now that I’ve had a supercell. Being able to use a 2.5 hose that’s 30 feet long to clean my shop and tools is awesome. It’s seriously powerful. There is no tool in my shop that the Oneida cannot keep up with. I own all the usual suspects. My 15” planer doesn’t even bother it.

I always wear ear protection so it’s not loud IMHO, but I’m sure the Harvey is in the range where if you’re wearing them, you might not know if you’ve turned it on yet LOL.

The G700 is unique and quiet but price is very high given the performance curve. I think 700 cfm for $2400 plus $500 shipping is a lot of money for that level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    The G700 is unique and quiet but price is very high given the performance curve. I think 700 cfm for $2400 plus $500 shipping is a lot of money for that level of performance.
    I originally thought the same, but it's surprised me a lot...it's performing better than the Oneida I had in the old shop. Now to be sure, my duct work network is a better design here which is largely because of having the ability to run it more efficiently and also optimize it better than at the old shop.
    --

The G-700 actually has a somewhat smaller impeller (only 12"), but it achieves its performance by using a VFD and running the motor at higher RPM (4275). This is 25% faster than your typical 3450 RPM induction motor. I hope the guys at Harvey selected a motor that is built and rated for this higher RPM. I googled and found a couple comments regarding higher RPM on a normal TEFC Induction motor:

https://www.quora.com/How-we-increea...he-rated-speed

-In an induction motor you can over speed the motor using a variable frequency drive. You will lose power output as you go above the rated speed. This is due to the fact you will get less magnetic saturation of the stator as the frequency increases.

-Running the motor at full torque and higher frequency may, however, cause overheating due to excess magnetic and copper losses.

Just some thoughts...