Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Dust Collector Help

At only 25% over nominal speed, the VFD should not affect the motor substantially if the motor is of decent construction (which I'm sure it is). Now doubling the design speed, that could cause issues. Overspeeding is done routinely in industrial applications with VFD's. The dust collector motor is lightly loaded so overheating is unlikely.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Actually, a dust collector motor is one of the highest current pulling motors in a wood working machinery. You will frequently reach "max running amps" easily in many situations unless you are running the motor at 50% speed. If you have blast gates open and you are moving air, the motor is using a lot of amps! In comparison, a table saw motor running at idle will only be pulling about 1/3 or so of the rated amps.

Okay, "lightly loaded" was taken too literally. I understand a fan in a dust collector is loaded heavier with more blast gates open, up to its HP capability. That loading does not affect its life in anyway previously described. VFD's have specific settings for handling fan and pump applications. The point is 25% overspeed is not an issue with a decent motor.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Thanks for the info on the super cell. It’s yours the turbo or standard model? Is the turbo just a bigger motor? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Richeson View Post
    Thanks for the info on the super cell. It’s yours the turbo or standard model? Is the turbo just a bigger motor? Thanks
    Mine is the non-Turbo model. When I spoke with Oneida we concluded that the Supercell was more than adequate as I am only using 2.5” and 4” ducts. The turbo motors move even more air and can support 5-6” hoses. I’ve never felt I needed more on any of my machines (sawstop, 15” planer, 8” jointer, 19” drum sander, 14” bandsaw, etc.). As mentioned, for me, being able to use a 30’ long hose that’s 2.5” diameter to clean my shop/tools is invaluable. I tried the same hose on my Rockler 1250 just for fun and it was so, so bad LOL.

I was checking out the DC-1450 from baileigh. Found it on sale for just under 2k. Looks like they have been making that unit for about 10 years now. Seems that would be about double the power from the machine I have now. Anyone have any machines from them? My concern with the super cell is that when I have the cnc running and I want to use another machine the super cell is not rated to work like that.

Baleigh DC-1450 looks like a variation of the Jet JCDC-2 that I recommended earlier. The Jet is $1784 from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Jet-JCDC-2-Cy...ef=sr_1_1?th=1

The Baleigh does not publish impeller size. You would have to ask them directly if it's the same size as the Jet 14-1/2" impeller. That's the important part. Both machines are likely very similar quality. Jet has a slightly larger window on the drum to show sawdust level. Jet also has a remote control.

Dan, I strongly suspect you will find that the unit you refer to was made in the same factory as others with different paint. I don't recall negative remarks about Balleigh machines and at one point, they were a forum advertiser if my memory is sound.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I did make a call to Oneida and talked with Guy. It seems the super cell maybe the way to go. I may just keep the old grizzly for the CNC machine as it does a good job on that. I did order one of those Jet separators to try out as Woodcraft had them on sale for 29 bucks from 180. For that kind of money I gave it a shot plus free shipping.

Sound logic Dan. While I do have the supercell too, I use a Rockler 1250 with Oneida separator dedicated to my CNC. I’m quite happy with it and I have the room. I like the idea of adding the wear and tear to the Rockler for longer CNC caves anyway. When it dies I’ll probably buy a Gorilla.

Thanks Michael, I see your in Colorado. We moved from there little over 2 years now. Lived in Colorado Springs.

I was thinking the same thing on wearing out the 450 dollar grizzly one for that longer run time and it don't make tons of dust. I was thinking of going with the turbo model but I think the extra price seems awful high for adding just one more motor to it. Seven hundred more!!! what is the cost of a replacement motor for these? I wouldn't think all 4 motors would cost 700 so why are they charging that for one extra motor? Just don't seem right to me. I could see a few hundred more.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Mine is the non-Turbo model. ...
    Michael, did you get the wall mount or then free-standing model?
    Can you tell me please what the model# is? Thanks
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 01-20-2024 at 6:42 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Richeson View Post
    Thanks Michael, I see your in Colorado. We moved from there little over 2 years now. Lived in Colorado Springs.

I was thinking the same thing on wearing out the 450 dollar grizzly one for that longer run time and it don't make tons of dust. I was thinking of going with the turbo model but I think the extra price seems awful high for adding just one more motor to it. Seven hundred more!!! what is the cost of a replacement motor for these? I wouldn't think all 4 motors would cost 700 so why are they charging that for one extra motor? Just don't seem right to me. I could see a few hundred more.
    Yep, love Co Dan!

When I talked with Oneida and gave them a rundown of my shop/tools they said I didn't need the Turbo. I personally couldn't be more happy with it, and like I said, being able to use a 30' shop-vac hose to clean tools/shop is just awesome. I did opt for the 30 gallon version and I'm glad I did. I usually can do a couple of projects, including all the milling, without filling it. I don't know much about the motor replacements for the turbo as I quickly realized it wasn't for me. When I talked to Oneida about the non-turbo, it sounded like they sell the motors in a set ($290 I think), but if you had a bad one, you could technically use one motor but they recommend replacing as a set. Basically, they told me that they should last a long time (many years) and that if one hits end-of-life the others may not be far behind. IMHO replaceable motors are a HUGE plus. Everything else on this thing is a tank and will outlast me

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Michael, did you get the wall mount or then free-standing model?
    Can you tell me please what the model# is? Thanks
    I got the wall mount version. I believe the model is XSK000030.

Basically, non-turbo, 30 gallon drum, wall mount. The wall mount unit is incredibly compact as it just goes up and doesn't stick out very far. You can also rotate the top motor and inlet portions to optimize what works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    I got the wall mount version. I believe the model is XSK000030.

Basically, non-turbo, 30 gallon drum, wall mount. The wall mount unit is incredibly compact as it just goes up and doesn't stick out very far. You can also rotate the top motor and inlet portions to optimize what works best for you.
    Sounds like a winner.
    I use 2-1/2" duct/hoses and smaller... may have a need for one 4 inch hose in the future.
    Thanks
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”