Thread: Powermatic 15" HH planer startup and finish question

Powermatic 15" HH planer startup and finish question

I have a new powermatic 15" HH planer. It's their newest models (bought within the month)
    Everytime I start it, a very loud bang happens. Is this normal for those that have these?
    Also, at the end of a job, the board "hops" as it passes the last roller. Is this normal? Here's two vids
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/SXJc8Qw6oqb8j2WR7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AAKx5JjRngHMgwvYA

Thanks!!

That can happen with a lot of thicknessers just because of the way the rollers are and the pressure getting released. What's more important is to insure the board doesn't move down as the last end of moves past the infeed roller, so a little "uplift" on the outfeed support (fixed or your hands) will help insure you don't get snipe from that kind of movement. (dialing in the rollers can reduce or eliminate that but wood is wood and, well...you know...sometimes it has a mind of its own)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Both are normal. Incredibly little start up load on a thickness planer, so it pops when you hit the switch. You can probably loosen the spring pressure on the out feed roller. Are there bed rollers in that machine? If so they be set a little high off the table.

My pm 15 thumps when it starts almost every time. I’ve not found anyway to eliminate it completely so I attribute it to the way single phase motors work. I had a delta unisaw that was even worse.
    I adjusted my feed rollers and chip breaker if we can call it that. To minimize snipe if you don’t have snipe don’t mess with it too much or you just might.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Thanks everyone. I don't see any snipe at the end. Adjusting the rollers seems a tedious process for the little bit of motion I have like that at the end. I will see about adjusting the pressure. There are table rollers on this model. It's entirely different than my DeWalt planer. Lots of roller, top and bottom.

I have the same planer and the same thump. A little disconcerting but you will get used to it. My bed rollers are flush with the bed and tables.
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    My bed rollers are flush with the bed and tables.
    Is leveling the bed rollers difficult? What's the impact on the feed rate? Did it create more friction? The manual sucks IMO. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Evans View Post
    Is leveling the bed rollers difficult? What's the impact on the feed rate? Did it create more friction? The manual sucks IMO. Thanks!
    I haven't messed with the rollers, either upper or lower. I was having some snipe issues recently - checked the bed rollers as part of my investigation and they were flush. I cleaned the tables and hit them with a coat of Boeshield T-9, as it had been a while since I had done that. That seemed to solve my issue. Jim's suggestion to lift slightly as the board exits the cutters may help with your issue. Make sure your tables are flat all the way through. Sorry I can't be much more help than that.
    Regards,

Kris

I wouldn't assume your machine is set up correctly from the factory. I would get a rotacator (dial indicator on a magnetic base) and go thru the complete set up check while its under warranty. I read somewhere that a new 15HH's table was found not aligned with the head casting and it was planing a taper. That is a major adjustment best done with the machine upside down - on a new machine I would send it back. If the machine is set up correctly and you don't have to adjust anything it's about an hour and a good learning experience on how your machine works.

It is normal. PM recommends against adjusting the spring pressure on the infeed and outfeed rollers. It can be tricky to get the spring pressure re-balanced to where the boards don't rotate while passing under the cutter. I set the bed rollers at bed height when running surfaced stock. I only raise them for skip-planing rough boards. They are easy to adjust but also don't stay set up high because the grub screws loosen, which is one of the shortcomings of the machine. It would be worthwhile to check the heights of the chipbreaker, infeed/outfeed rollers, cutter, and pressure bar. My PM 209 was significantly misaligned when delivered. That hop may be because the pressure bar is a little bit high. When the machine is properly aligned, boards should feed through without rotation and there should be no need for finessing to avoid snipe.

15" 4 post planers like the 15hh do not have the pressure bar. Unless they have added them on newer models.