Thread: Looking for Lever Cap Screw for old Stanley 60 1/2

Looking for Lever Cap Screw for old Stanley 60 1/2

Hey all, I just bought an old Stanley 60 1/2 on ebay (I think its that ~1930s version). The plane is in good condition, but the screw that attaches the lever cap to the frog is clearly old but wrong for the plane; it does not fit through the hole in the lever cap, and might get 1/2 a thread in IF you can get it screwed down. Does anyone have, say, an old parts plane from which they'd be willing to part with the screw, in decent condition? PM me if you have one or have any idea how I can go about finding the proper part (that isn't new). Not sure what they're worth or what they cost, but you tell me...

Thanks!

Eric of Vintage Tools up in New Hampshire...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I believe I still have a parts plane. Can you post a pic of what you have and I’ll look and see what I’ve got.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Jim,

This is what I've got. Thanks for any help!

J
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yea, I’ve got that screw. PM me your address and I’ll mail it out to you.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Blog Entries
    Looks like this one is solved, but incase someone looks at this in the future…

There is also Bob Kaune in Washington > https://www.antique-used-tools.com/comparts.htm

There is also a lot of other good information on his site including a Bedrock type study and a page of Stanley Trade Marks used on their plane blades.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I saw this website as well...seemed super dated so I wasn't sure if it was still active. Jim, can you confirm?

Blog Entries
    I haven't talked to Bob in a few years, but there is a phone number and an eddress on the home page > https://www.antique-used-tools.com

Usually there is a monthly fee to host a web site. When the fee isn't paid the web site will likely disappear.

Also on the home page at the bottom it indicates there was an update yesterday.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you are on Facebook, another place is Just Plane Fun - the parts division it is run by Michael Jenks, who has a large inventory of parts

I’ll be sending James the screw in tomorrow’s mail.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service