Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winter outdoors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

winter outdoors

I have a pair of quilted Carhart bibs that are warm but are really stiff to put on and wear. They're heavy too. I'm soon 80 and have bad shoulders so I need help even getting them on. I wear them when working in the woods, plowing snow, or walking around the woods checking trail cameras. I see ice fishermen and some wrecker personnel wearing coveralls that look to be warm and more flexible. I'm wondering if any of you have experience and recommendations?

No experience, but I have noticed that most insulated clothing had canvas for the outer layer, which is by nature very stiff. This makes it very rugged, and tear resistant.

Insulated ski pants are usually made of lighter, more flexible nylon. Not as wear resistant, but may work for you. They tend to be pricy though. https://www.rei.com/product/229005/o...now-pants-mens

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Insulated ski pants are usually made of lighter, more flexible nylon. Not as wear resistant, but may work for you. They tend to be pricy though. https://www.rei.com/product/229005/o...now-pants-mens
    You can get snow/ski pants for a lot less than $200. Big box stores here in Minnesota have them for less than $50.

I like these if its not hard work being done. If you are just outside(hunting, snow blower, walking, etc) then these are great and not too pricey they go right over a pair of jeans. I spent a week in Yellowstone in february wearing jeans and these only and was very warm.

Theres no replacement for bibs/canvas if your going to be rough

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An ice fishing buddy of mine swears by these

https://www.amazon.com/TIDEWE-Huntin...4209718&sr=8-4
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Blog Entries
    I ordered a pair, but won’t be here till the 9th..

https://www.amazon.com/TIDEWE-Huntin...4209718&sr=8-4

To the OP, are you already wearing layers under your outerwear? I find that if I have good base layers on the outerwear is less critical. I discovered these “32-Degree Heat” base layer tops at Costco that are sheer, but warmer than about anything else. For leggings, I use merino wool tights in weights between 150 and 250 and have never been cold. Then jeans, vest, duck jacket, whatever. Also, when we were at a night walk in London recently, several people had these electronically heated vests. I imagine USB rechargeable. They seemed to really like them. Hope this helps,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have a pair of Walls insulated bibs, which I too find bulky and limiting to movement, although I've worn them for years when it's really cold. This year, on a whim, I tried a pair of Duluth trading lined pantshttps://www.duluthtrading.com/s/DTC/...html?color=BRN.

I am finding them to be perhaps the most comfortable pants for outdoor activities of any that I've tried over the years. The material is heavy, but not stiff. The warmth is great so far (we've had a mild late fall/early winter around here). They are a "relaxed" fit, but I've had other pants that claimed this type of cut but weren't near this comfortable. If I hadn't bought 2 at the same time, I'd be ordering another already. These things are awesome.

Ken

Blog Entries
    There suppose to be in today. Hope they work out. I might order the jacket

Talking snow the rest of the week here in KC. The heated sections will be useful..

been looking at waterproof boots.

Blog Entries
    6” of snow. I’ll give those heaters a try today..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    6” of snow. I’ll give those heaters a try today..
    Worked like a charm. I think I’ll wear these for spring fishing..

Same Carhart Bibs, same problem and sent them back.

Instead, I go layers. Long Underwear top and bottom usually thin silk, then a one piece union suit, either cotton or fleece. Add a sweat shirt and jacket. Also a snowmobile suit, again thin, so layers work for you.
    Regards,

Tom

Blog Entries
    I have a pair of insulated nylon bib type snow pants I wear when walking in the woods and cross country skiing. They were made by Freezewear. I've had them for over 15 years and they are still going strong.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Got any friends who are snowmobilers? They are always down with the warm gear.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut