Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winter outdoors

winter outdoors

I have a pair of quilted Carhart bibs that are warm but are really stiff to put on and wear. They're heavy too. I'm soon 80 and have bad shoulders so I need help even getting them on. I wear them when working in the woods, plowing snow, or walking around the woods checking trail cameras. I see ice fishermen and some wrecker personnel wearing coveralls that look to be warm and more flexible. I'm wondering if any of you have experience and recommendations?

No experience, but I have noticed that most insulated clothing had canvas for the outer layer, which is by nature very stiff. This makes it very rugged, and tear resistant.

Insulated ski pants are usually made of lighter, more flexible nylon. Not as wear resistant, but may work for you. They tend to be pricy though. https://www.rei.com/product/229005/o...now-pants-mens

I like these if its not hard work being done. If you are just outside(hunting, snow blower, walking, etc) then these are great and not too pricey they go right over a pair of jeans. I spent a week in Yellowstone in february wearing jeans and these only and was very warm.

Theres no replacement for bibs/canvas if your going to be rough

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An ice fishing buddy of mine swears by these

https://www.amazon.com/TIDEWE-Huntin...4209718&sr=8-4
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Same Carhart Bibs, same problem and sent them back.

Instead, I go layers. Long Underwear top and bottom usually thin silk, then a one piece union suit, either cotton or fleece. Add a sweat shirt and jacket. Also a snowmobile suit, again thin, so layers work for you.
    Regards,

Tom

Blog Entries
    I have a pair of insulated nylon bib type snow pants I wear when walking in the woods and cross country skiing. They were made by Freezewear. I've had them for over 15 years and they are still going strong.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Got any friends who are snowmobilers? They are always down with the warm gear.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

quilted Canvas bibs need washed numerous times and worn a lot to get the softer effect you are looking for. Spray them with water proofing when you finally get them soft
    Ron

Fleece lined are not as stiff. Not as warm as quilted. Carhartt does not make fleece lined.Search for the recent thread about battery heated jackets. They also make heated gloves and socks. Do they make heated pants? Be carful many of the heated clothes are 12 volt for snowmobile and motorcycle cigarette lighter power use, not self powered.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Insulated ski pants are usually made of lighter, more flexible nylon. Not as wear resistant, but may work for you. They tend to be pricy though. https://www.rei.com/product/229005/o...now-pants-mens
    You can get snow/ski pants for a lot less than $200. Big box stores here in Minnesota have them for less than $50.

Products like the Carharts or Duluth Trading, TrueWerk, etc., that are designed for "hard work durability" that comes with activities like contracting are going to be stiffer simply because of the material they are made of. These brands and more have other winter products that focus more on warmth and moisture resistance that are going to be lighter and more flexible because they don't have the canvas/firehose type materials as a wear layer. That's what you want to investigate.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am a fan of the snowmobile suits. I purchased one several years ago to use ATV trail riding in the mountains in February and it kept me nice and warm. The suit is very light and flexible/comfortable to wear for very long periods of time. I also wear it while I am on my tractor in the rare times we have snow that has to be plowed here in the flat-lands.

Don't go overboard buying outerwear that is too heavy. Being too warm in cold weather is as bad as being cold in cold weather. You end up sweating and then the moisture ends up making you cold. I have taken some basic cold weather training. One of the big things I learned was to not stand around a fire in the cold. You're better off moving around than standing still around a fire.

Blog Entries
    I ordered a pair, but won’t be here till the 9th..

https://www.amazon.com/TIDEWE-Huntin...4209718&sr=8-4