Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: winter outdoors

To the OP, are you already wearing layers under your outerwear? I find that if I have good base layers on the outerwear is less critical. I discovered these “32-Degree Heat” base layer tops at Costco that are sheer, but warmer than about anything else. For leggings, I use merino wool tights in weights between 150 and 250 and have never been cold. Then jeans, vest, duck jacket, whatever. Also, when we were at a night walk in London recently, several people had these electronically heated vests. I imagine USB rechargeable. They seemed to really like them. Hope this helps,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Don't go overboard buying outerwear that is too heavy. Being too warm in cold weather is as bad as being cold in cold weather. You end up sweating and then the moisture ends up making you cold. I have taken some basic cold weather training. One of the big things I learned was to not stand around a fire in the cold. You're better off moving around than standing still around a fire.
    Adding to this, layers is the way to go because they can adapt to both conditions and activities.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've been using a pair of Wall's "Blizzard Pruf" bibs for 10 or 12 years, mostly for blowing snow and cutting dead-fall. Nylon/urethane shell--not as tough as canvas/duck--but more durable than most synthetic materials. Only about $60 at Tractor Supply Walls Men's Blizzard Pruf Super Snow Insulated Water-Resistant Bib Overalls - 1020783 at Tractor Supply Co. Both my shoulders are in bad shape, but the straps on the Wall's are elastic enough that i can just leave them fastened when i put them on.

I have non-insulated Carhartt bibs--don't think i'll live long enough to get them soft, but i also will never wear them out!!

I have a pair of Walls insulated bibs, which I too find bulky and limiting to movement, although I've worn them for years when it's really cold. This year, on a whim, I tried a pair of Duluth trading lined pantshttps://www.duluthtrading.com/s/DTC/...html?color=BRN.

I am finding them to be perhaps the most comfortable pants for outdoor activities of any that I've tried over the years. The material is heavy, but not stiff. The warmth is great so far (we've had a mild late fall/early winter around here). They are a "relaxed" fit, but I've had other pants that claimed this type of cut but weren't near this comfortable. If I hadn't bought 2 at the same time, I'd be ordering another already. These things are awesome.

Ken

I grew up wearing the insulated carhart coveralls, but I would not think they would be better than the overalls for someone with bad shoulders.

A really good option if you are active outside (not sitting for any extended period) is a couple of layers of those quilted flannel shirts, with a good quality down vest and a good hat.

For the lower half, good thermal underwear under whatever your favorite work pants are.

FWIW: I have not bought any recently, but from family I gather Carhart's quality is way down.

It seems to be a law of nature that when a company starts advertising about their reputation for quality they are simultaneously doing everything possible to reduce it.

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I'm not doing what I used to do so I probably don't need to strength of the Carhartt's. I just find I have to get outside at least once a day and move. We have a wood lot and as you know, it takes work just keeping up with exotic invasives (garlic mustard is winning). I think layering is the way to go. I've ordered some good thermal underwear and snow pants. I have vests and jackets that work great. Now, to haul in some firewood before we get the predicted snow storm.

Unrelated, it seems like Carhartt has turned into the new "Patagonia" of urban fashion. My wife and I were just in the UK for the last couple of weeks and were seeing young folks sporting Carhartt beanies, jackets, etc. Like, "as a fashion statement". All the tradespeople over there wear simpler stuff. Just thought this was interesting. I use and love my Carhartt duck jucket for outdoor work, by the way.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    There suppose to be in today. Hope they work out. I might order the jacket

Talking snow the rest of the week here in KC. The heated sections will be useful..

been looking at waterproof boots.

Blog Entries
    6” of snow. I’ll give those heaters a try today..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    6” of snow. I’ll give those heaters a try today..
    Worked like a charm. I think I’ll wear these for spring fishing..