Thread: Don't Jump For The First Offer

Don't Jump For The First Offer

Recently ordered a new battery for my jump box that I keep with stand by generator in case of battery failure of built in battery. Searching around, I found the Might Max battery I needed to be priced at $39.99 almost every where. But when I go to Amazon, they want $42.99 for same battery. Scrolling down the page, I see same battery, also from Amazon, for $39.99, which is how I ordered it. FYI, last week I replaced battery in jump box I keep in van. It was a Mighty Max battery that was a little over five years old, so it didn't owe me anything. The one I'm replacing now is the OEM battery that came to me as a used jump box, about five years ago. Rescued it at the dumpsters, pried the caps off, and added distilled water. It still cranked service generator yesterday, but very slowly, so I knew it was time for a new battery.

Amazon, like Google, front load the items that make them more money.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I see it pretty often that Amazon third party sellers will charge more than the going rate for an item. They will also pay for a sponsored listing so their listing shows up higher in the list. I always look for the best price, and the best price may not be on Amazon.

Also, on ebay if you put something in your watchlist, very often the seller will make you an offer sometimes significantly less than the shown price in the item ad in a few days. I've had that happen a number of times in the past few months much more often that it used to happen. Sometimes it's a significant difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I see it pretty often that Amazon third party sellers will charge more than the going rate for an item. They will also pay for a sponsored listing so their listing shows up higher in the list. I always look for the best price, and the best price may not be on Amazon.
    On the few items I actually order, I check both Amazon and Ebay, plus a couple other sellers. Of course you can always get a stupid price. For this battery, Walmart wanted $79.99

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Also, on ebay if you put something in your watchlist, very often the seller will make you an offer sometimes significantly less than the shown price in the item ad in a few days. I've had that happen a number of times in the past few months much more often that it used to happen. Sometimes it's a significant difference.
    You must be blessed.
    I've done that and the sellers have never discounted the item more than 5%... definitely not a significant savings.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    You must be blessed.
    I've done that and the sellers have never discounted the item more than 5%... definitely not a significant savings.
    For ebay 10-15% is the standard discount for me. I do not think i see discounts fro mAmazon?
    Bill D