Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Dummy's Guide to European Bandsaw Setup

Blog Entries
    In fact, I think as far as co planar is concerned, I would do the following:

1) Ensure the tires are correctly installed and trued (trued on the machine IMO).

2) install blade and track it to where you want it on the top wheel (teeth hanging off in my case)

3) take the lower cover off and see where the blade is running axially.

When I get to #3 after making the machine co planar, I see about 3mm of extra blade overhang... which tells me the factory knows something I don't. I.e. the lower wheel has to stick out further towards the user than the upper wheel.

I've tested my laser level a few different times and according to my various levels, it seems to be pretty darn level. So I'm going to assume that my laser is vertical. I did my co planar measurements w/ the blade on, tracked and tensioned for what it is worth. Obviously you can tilt the upper wheel to make it the same angle as the bottom. So that measurement is a bit silly unloaded. I mainly concerned myself with using the 0 deg and 180 deg points on the rim of each wheel against my laser. I took those numbers from the bottom wheel and made sure they matched the top wheel. This I assume you can do either loaded or unloaded. The lower wheel shouldn't move whether loaded or not so the 90 deg and 270 deg number should match each other as close as possible with your reference line. Once the machine is loaded you can measure the top wheel 90 deg and 180 deg and compare to the lower.

Sorry, this probably sounds like an expert giving instructions. Not meant to be that way. I'm just letting you know what I did. So far, I'm obviously missing something. But the shafts are tight to the new bearings so I don't think I have a terrible machine per se. I think I have a machine that no one cared about, but I do think I'm getting closer to making it work. I only feel like paying someone to drop into the Mariana Trench when I'm actually working on it, but once I'm away from it and have time to calm down I'm able to think more rationally!

I will say one thing: no one that sells tires has yet impressed me. They all give one word answers and / or have bad websites with lousy descriptions, etc. For as much holy praise as my machine gets, it sure doesn't seem to gain a good tire vending apparatus.
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 01-13-2024 at 12:17 PM.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Hi, Len! Yes, I do remember you. I’m out of the house today but let me throw up some pics of the process tomorrow (Sunday) morning.

Erik
    Great, thanks!

Hi Erik, I figured it out. Was looking at the front of the table instead of the rear. Easy adjustment, first loosen the table tilt clamp, tilt the table until the blade is square with it, tighten the tilt clamp, and adjust the support screw at the rear of the table until it touches the bottom of the table to prevent any travel or drift if the tilt clamp loosens up. (Posted this for others who might be interested).

4. Excellent helpful thread for me.
    Erik in particular.