Thread: Natural edge Black Walnut Critique requested

Natural edge Black Walnut Critique requested

I have been very forum lazy in the last couple of years. I haven't done much turning, because the wife ordered our basement finished, and now that it's done I'm out of the habit of posting. I have a few pieces I've done in the last year, or so, and I will try to post some of them.

This is one of the few natural edge pieces I have done, and it seemed to work out. It is black walnut about 9 inches long. The high ends are about 1/4" thick , and the low edges about 5/16". Gotta work on that. My wife must not have liked it, because she filled it with garbage. I welcome a brutal critique. All comments are welcome. That's how I learn.

4E8A6068.jpg4E8A6069.jpg4E8A6070.jpg4E8A6072.jpg4E8A6076.jpg
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Brian , I see art and talent . But not something I would buy. I think the wood goblets with turned “impossible “ rings ,and such are a
    more lucrative pursuit. Some are gonna walk buy those and think “who’s going to buy broken coconuts ?” I think something ugly will
    sell faster than something “broken”.

I like it a lot, I disagree with Mel as it would sell very quickly I believe. I have a similar piece on our dining room table. Ours is filled with about a dozen wooden spheres of various woods and sizes.

I like it, I would like to see how to turn something that is oval, and the live edge is challenging for me also.

I like it as well, and in my limited experience selling and gifting bowls, the live edge ones went the fastest. Nice job keeping the bark intact. Without holding it, it’s hard to tell but sounds like your wall thickness is close enough. I like the minimal decoration on the bottom too, looks nice. Overall I think it is a great looking piece and would be proud of it!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elett View Post
    I like it, I would like to see how to turn something that is oval, and the live edge is challenging for me also.
    That's the beauty of that orientation - it looks oval but it is round. The levels of the "walls" make it look oval.

Natural edge bark can be a problem if it wants to come off. Turners often apply CA to hold it on while working on the piece. Supposedly, the time of year the tree was harvested can play a role in how well it stays attached as well as species, and how the stars are located in the universe.

Brian, I think you have done a great job on this bowl, I love it and it would sell...you can bet on that.

Thank you everyone for your comments. This walnut was summer harvested, and air dried for about 9 years. I was amazed at how well the bark stayed on. When I got close to the final thickness, CA was my best friend. The bark may have stayed, but I wasn't willing to try it.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    Supposedly, the time of year the tree was harvested can play a role in how well it stays attached as well as species, and how the stars are located in the universe.
    winter harvested supposedly holds the bark better, I’ve read.

You hit the nail on the head regarding uniform thickness, it's a challenge on natural edge pieces. It looks like you have a beautiful flow from the tip of wings to the bottom. Sometimes it's easy to leave tool marks at the point at which the wings merge with the base of the bowl. Someone will love that bowl I'm sure.

Add me to the “I like it” group! Like it a lot!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association